Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: zobelaudio on March 27, 2021, 01:22:25 pm

Title: big sur ultra long startup time
Post by: zobelaudio on March 27, 2021, 01:22:25 pm
HI,
I have this crazy long boot time til I get to the login window and have tried everything I could find to fix it. Finally I discovered this software that creates an analysis of your sys. Now I'll post it here and hope that anybody can find the culprit...I can't.
cheers, Stephan

see ETREcheckPRO report
Title: Re: big sur ultra long startup time
Post by: BobShaw on March 27, 2021, 10:03:20 pm
Try it with all peripheral cables disconnected.
I had the same problem with Daisy Chained Firewire cables under Mojave but it disappeared under Catalina.
Also check the Console in Utilities for processes that are hanging.

Title: Re: big sur ultra long startup time
Post by: zobelaudio on March 28, 2021, 07:12:07 am
does not make a difference
It seems to be this
Mar 28 13:03:00 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.0C000000-0200-0000-0000-000000000000[1269]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[104]
which runs multiple times and always gets killed
Title: Re: big sur ultra long startup time
Post by: Chris Kern on March 28, 2021, 08:54:46 pm
It seems to be this
Mar 28 13:03:00 Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.0C000000-0200-0000-0000-000000000000[1269]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[104]
which runs multiple times and always gets killed

MDS is a background component of the search indexing capability bundled into MacOS.  You might try rebuilding the search index (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) to see if that resolves the problem.
Title: Re: big sur ultra long startup time
Post by: zobelaudio on March 29, 2021, 12:27:46 pm
I have now gone back to Mojave, the original OS of the Mac Pro and updated to BigSur from there.Slowly and cautiously clawing back everything from backups...