Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NeilPrintArt on March 22, 2021, 08:10:31 am

Title: What's eating my prints?
Post by: NeilPrintArt on March 22, 2021, 08:10:31 am
I left a large print (on Hahn German Etching) to rest overnight in my workshop, underneath a sheet of acid-free tissue.
In the morning I found a hole in it. Looks to me like something (an animal?) has eating through the tissue and half-way through the print itself.
See attached pics.
Any ideas/opinions as to what has done this?
My first thought was a mouse? Or maybe a moth? Cockroach?
The other thought was, maybe, some kind of corrosive acid dripped down from the ceiling, but can't find any traces and that seems less likely?
Anyone had a similar experience?
Painful because it was a big print (100x150cm) and had to be trashed and re-done  >:(
Thanks
Neil
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: IPDOUGLAS on March 22, 2021, 09:59:29 am
Neil,
        I must say the holes you have pictured appear to be rather like chemical burns etc rather than insect damage.  Perhaps rather than eat them some sort of rodent or reptile etc may have urinated on the print as it traversed it?  This may account for the appearance of chemical burns?  Perhaps leave some sort of camera over-night to see if you have unwanted visitors?    I feel for you as a 100 x 150cm piece of paper is not cheap much less one with your work printed on it and the cost of the ink also.

I am sure we would all be intrigued to know what it turns out to be?

I used to have a very expensive oil rig flotation suit stored in my garage and mice consumed most of it!   I have yet to check my tents!  Luckily here in UK we do not have too many voracious insects.

Good Luck
Ian
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: JRSmit on March 22, 2021, 12:35:14 pm
Could be bug. in The Netherlands we call it papiervisje or ovenvisje. See attachment

Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 22, 2021, 01:51:30 pm
Do they only go after big prints on expensive paper?   :(
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: kers on March 22, 2021, 04:41:44 pm
They like exclusive meals
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: NeilPrintArt on March 23, 2021, 04:53:41 am
Ian – that is a possibility. Had not thought of that!

Jan R. Smit – here in South Africa we call them a 'Fish Moth' or 'Silver Fish' and I have found them in my workshop before. But I thought the hole was a little too big, but maybe it was a hungry one!

I am not able to say for sure at this point, might need to invest in some cameras if it becomes a regular thing  :(
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: JRSmit on March 23, 2021, 07:10:17 am
These bugs are attracted to something eadable for them.
I think the thin paper you used to cover your print. (Perhaps a finger print ?.) And while eating it also touched your print, but stopped there.
Hahnemuhle papers are not known for attracting these paper moth of silver moth.
Title: Re: What's eating my prints?
Post by: Christopher L on March 26, 2021, 11:58:41 am
1 x 1.5 metres is a big print to print again! Museums are quite concerned about silverfish and we used to lay traps to catch them.  Camera detection will be too late, traps are better.  Also best to remove the environment they live in so try to eliminate the damp, less than 40% and stable humidity; maintain good air flow; keep things off the floor; use steel shelving etc.
All the best in your bug hunting.