Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 21, 2021, 08:20:45 am

Title: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 21, 2021, 08:20:45 am
Again, we were out for our walk during lockdown and I saw these muddy roots in the bank next to where we were walking and it instantly reminded me of a drawing I once saw by H R Giger (you know the guy who created the Alien (https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/332070172497345596/) in the film series?) and how this was similar to his depictions of alien life forms and decay. I then showed the picture to my main critic, the missus and who immediately said "Ooh, I don't like that at all, it looks like a rotting corpse. It's creepy. You can even see some rotting toes in it, urgh..."

Now I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing, because I suppose that was exactly the look I was after, if I wanted it to have any sort of reference to the work of H R Giger. But then at the same time, I was still a little shocked and dismayed by the reaction I got from her, because it isn't everyday that I get one of my images critiqued as looking like a rotting corpse is it???

Dave
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Bob_B on March 21, 2021, 08:26:26 am
Yep, most certainly has that 'Gigeresque' character to it. I like it for what it is, but it is creepy.
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: francois on March 21, 2021, 10:32:36 am
Interesting shot and an excellent reference to Giger!
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 21, 2021, 11:46:05 am
Definitely not "pretty," but I find it very powerful and, to me, quite appealing.
I often go looking for grisly tree roots, but haven't found any as good as these.

Don't think of divorcing her, however. it's just different strokes for different folks.
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: rabanito on March 23, 2021, 12:45:08 pm
Yep, most certainly has that 'Gigeresque' character to it. I like it for what it is, but it is creepy.

+1
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 23, 2021, 02:13:24 pm
Any anthropomorphic associations here, Dave?  ;)
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 23, 2021, 10:47:53 pm
I like this a lot.

mark
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: francois on March 24, 2021, 08:12:52 am
Any anthropomorphic associations here, Dave?  ;)

Excellent!  ;D
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Cem on March 25, 2021, 04:27:37 am
I like this a lot, very organic.
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 25, 2021, 05:16:30 am
Thanks for the replies and positive comments everyone, it is much appreciated - as always  ;)

Any anthropomorphic associations here, Dave?  ;)

Excellent Slobodan - and no I didn't see that particular 'willy (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=willy)' hidden in plain site within this shot. But now that you have pointed it out to me and even took the time to outline it for us all to see, I can't see anything else. So thanks for that mate...  :)

Isn't it weird how we look for human attributes and anatomical references within none human objects in the landscape and the more rude and vulgar they are, the more we latch on to them and mentally transform them into something that really isn't there.

And if anyone can see anything other than a simple narrow entrance cave within this shot below, then you really must be one sick puppy..  ;D ;D ;D

(https://s27107.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/vagina-rock-china.jpg)

I wonder if it's just us men that see sex in absolutely everything?

Dave
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 25, 2021, 09:34:45 am
So that tall, slender tree near the right side is about to enter that narrow cave??? (blush!)
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 25, 2021, 10:38:49 am
So that tall, slender tree near the right side is about to enter that narrow cave??? (blush!)

Not before months of enhancement therapy ;)
Title: Re: Here is another image that my wife hates..!!!
Post by: petermfiore on March 25, 2021, 12:49:38 pm
Not before months of enhancement therapy ;)



Or an amazing heap of self-esteem pills to give one a swelled head!!  ; )

Peter