Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: shadowblade on March 14, 2021, 10:26:38 pm

Title: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: shadowblade on March 14, 2021, 10:26:38 pm
Belmore Falls, a two-tiered waterfall in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, Australia.

All with A7r3, 24-70mm f/2.8 GM and Nisi circular polariser.

1 - 44mm, f/8, ISO 50. Five averaged exposures at 1/6s each.

2 - 61mm, f/11, ISO 50. Five averaged exposures at 1/3s each.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: degrub on March 14, 2021, 10:34:06 pm
The eucalyptus doesn’t add anything useful imo on the first one. In the second one, it helps frame the image with the different colour.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: shadowblade on March 14, 2021, 10:40:05 pm
Yeah, but I couldn't exactly cut it down, or walk 20m off a cliff to shoot with it out of frame. I was thinking of cropping the first one to a square or 5:4 format, but, then I'd lose too much of the cliff and it'd be too similar to the second one.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: shadowblade on March 14, 2021, 10:47:59 pm
For what it's worth, this is how it looks as a square.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: degrub on March 14, 2021, 11:00:41 pm
I would keep all the left and cut from the right, then.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: shadowblade on March 14, 2021, 11:08:20 pm
Then it would look really unbalanced, with the waterfall on the right of the image and facing right, with a whole lot of pointless cliff on the left.

I'd like the square format, if it weren't too similar to the vertical one.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: degrub on March 14, 2021, 11:15:53 pm
The square crop does point out something to me though - that it is the brightness of the trunks that are distracting rather than the colour of the leaves.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 15, 2021, 05:54:58 am
Beautiful scenery. If I nitpick, I would try to get rid of the upper right corner in #1, where there is a bit of tree trunk. Other than that, no problem.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: francois on March 15, 2021, 07:55:22 am
Splendid falls with that lush vegetation! I like the vertical or the square shots better than the horizontal one, FWIW.
Title: Re: Belmore Falls, Australia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 15, 2021, 09:40:23 am
The vertical works best for me.