Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: shadowblade on March 08, 2021, 09:56:44 am

Title: More sea caves
Post by: shadowblade on March 08, 2021, 09:56:44 am
More sea caves at Portsea, on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula.

All taken with Sony A7r3, 12-24 GM and Nisi ND filers.

1. 12mm, f/11, 30s, ISO 100.

2. 16mm, f/14, 25s, ISO 100.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 09, 2021, 04:31:13 am
Nice. #2 is special, with the sun peaking in the distance.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: MattBurt on March 10, 2021, 06:58:59 pm
I like them but I think the HDR (I assume) is a little too much.
The cave interior could be much darker and it would look more natural.
Agreed #2 is the better one.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: shadowblade on March 10, 2021, 07:33:51 pm
No HDR here. It was dark up until the time the sun started shining into the cave. And it was dark behind me. You can see a bit of it in the dark area at the bottom of the first image.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: maddogmurph on March 14, 2021, 05:49:33 pm
A lot of issues here Shadow. If you look at the edges you'll see these white or lighter areas - that's likely a result of maxing the shadow slider to the right, and the highlights to the left. I use to do it all the time, and never really noticed. To get the same effect I'd suggest using dual processing of your raw and luminosity masks. The second is that while your histogram probably looks pretty good here, the color balance is tilted yellow/orange, while you've probably done this purposefully I think it would be useful to consider where the color is applied - the shadows typically won't take on this much saturation. The third, and probably biggest thing I see is that you need two brackets to accomplish your excellent idea (the sunstar) without having a ton of AE artifacts (like you have). The way to do this is take one shot with your finger in front of the sun, and then blend that shot into this shot. The final thing I'd say is that this would probably benefit from dual or even triple processing the raw file. Meaning, process the lights, use the same color scheme/balance, and then blend those in with a luminosity mask, then process the darks cooler, bring that in with a darks mask, and finally process the sky/sun, and the interior of the cave separately.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: shadowblade on March 15, 2021, 02:13:09 am
To be honest, I hadn't expected anything from these photos anyway - I shot them while waiting for the right time to take the main shot and tried processing them.mainly to see if I could get a second usable shot out of the session. Unlike the main shot, these turned out to be near-impossible to process.

The main shot I went to get was this (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137802.0), and, unlike these ones, it seemed to turn out successfully.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: francois on March 15, 2021, 07:57:07 am
Not perfect but I quite like #2!
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 15, 2021, 09:38:43 am
The main shot I went to get was this (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137802.0), and, unlike these ones, it seemed to turn out successfully.
That is definitely the best of the bunch, IMHO.
Title: Re: More sea caves
Post by: maddogmurph on March 17, 2021, 08:12:37 pm
To be honest, I hadn't expected anything from these photos anyway - I shot them while waiting for the right time to take the main shot and tried processing them.mainly to see if I could get a second usable shot out of the session. Unlike the main shot, these turned out to be near-impossible to process.

The main shot I went to get was this (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137802.0), and, unlike these ones, it seemed to turn out successfully.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way. You're a better photographer than most people you'll meet out in the field. I personally come here to grow, and I welcome and look for critique. Although I suppose I don't mind the pats on the back, they generally don't help me grow. I always enjoy when people rip me a new one here... the one I always screw up is the horizon line... among others. Slobodan never fails to catch something. That being said, even the one that you like, potentially has issues. Take a look at the lower left pool, it appears to be divided by a line. Now, artistically, maybe that's your intention in which case I'm simply wrong. Also maybe it's your intention to have the light bleeding out on the edges and a clear line between the two layers. I don't know. So it's not really my place, because, at the end of the day, this is all artistic interpretation. But constructively, if you're looking to provide a realistic feel, these feel pushed. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean that in an artistic way. I push things intentionally all the time. And the more I push things, often times I fail, but sometimes, I come out with things I like. I've been working on a failed photo for many hours. I'll post it now, as an example. Maybe I'm just confused about how to make it work. Maybe it's just not a good composition. I'd love your feedback.

Best,

Maddog