Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: David Eckels on February 26, 2021, 03:46:35 pm

Title: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: David Eckels on February 26, 2021, 03:46:35 pm
Out in the desert boondocks. I love these cactus personalities.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2021, 10:29:59 pm
That's a beauty.

Most daytime saguaro images get pretty boring after you've seen a few, but the lighting in this one really makes it special.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: MattBurt on February 27, 2021, 12:45:12 am
I like them too. The highlights against the shade is especially nice as well.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: David Eckels on March 01, 2021, 10:49:43 am
Thanks for the comments, guys, it IS all about the light, isn't it.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 02, 2021, 04:01:43 am
Well seen.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: David Eckels on March 02, 2021, 11:02:34 am
Thanks, Paulo. I just started Zen Camera by David Ulrich and he recommends an exercise of making photographs just to make them, without thinking or evaluating, and to see what draws the eye. I figured I have more than 50K in my LR catalog and that I'd go back through them to see what draws my eye. This one goes back to 2014 and I had skipped over it back then, so it was untouched in post. I'd shot a bracketed series, just for grins or I was thinking about HDR, so I took the brightest exposure (ETTR) into LR to have a look and see where my PP wandering would take me. Maybe a pattern will resolve. I hope.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 02, 2021, 06:04:03 pm
Many of my best photos are ones that I completely ignored when I first shot them.
I go back years later and say, "Gosh! How did I miss that one?"
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: francois on March 03, 2021, 08:03:02 am
Many of my best photos are ones that I completely ignored when I first shot them.
I go back years later and say, "Gosh! How did I miss that one?"

Ditto and it's always a pleasant surprise to discover the forgotten ones!

By the way: Superb saguaro shot under the best possible light. It reveals the spiky nature of the "beasts".
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: David Eckels on March 03, 2021, 08:07:27 am
Eric, Francois, it's an interesting experience to go back like this and find "the best possible light" and realize you saw it then, but didn't "see" it until now!
Thanks again, Francois.
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 04, 2021, 03:55:16 am
This is a lovely image. (I like it even better with a horizontal flip but that's just a personal preference.)
Title: Re: Saguaro Sunset
Post by: David Eckels on March 04, 2021, 10:32:53 am
Thanks, Rajan. I actually thought about that but didn't try it until just now and I agree.