Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on February 25, 2021, 11:40:59 am

Title: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on February 25, 2021, 11:40:59 am
Some examples of what can be done with the latest generation of phones. I posted some B&W in past on the B&W thread.
I have yet to start using the ProRaw.


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469307-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469304-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469309-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on February 25, 2021, 11:43:58 am
Snow

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469316-5.jpg)

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469318-5.jpg)

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4137469331-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 25, 2021, 07:23:29 pm
Very nice set.

My lowly iPhone 6 can't do that. I'm used to being able to press my camera against my forehead to keep it steady while I look through the finder, but with my iPhone I have to hold it at arm's length, and I can't hold it steady. So I have to rely on my semi-pocket Canon G5X for walk-about snapshots.   :'(
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on April 22, 2021, 10:45:01 pm
Very nice set.

My lowly iPhone 6 can't do that. I'm used to being able to press my camera against my forehead to keep it steady while I look through the finder, but with my iPhone I have to hold it at arm's length, and I can't hold it steady. So I have to rely on my semi-pocket Canon G5X for walk-about snapshots.   :'(

Late thank you Eric, missed your reply.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on April 22, 2021, 10:58:23 pm
II


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637561-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637633-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637643-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637642-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637549-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637654-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637657-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637558-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637554-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2361637557-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Alan Klein on April 23, 2021, 09:13:08 am
Nice set Armand.  I have a 2017 Samsung Galaxy S4.  It's fine on the fly when I'm just running around.  The two gripes I have with cellphones are you can't see the screen in the sun especially if it's behind you.  Also, holding it and snapping is very difficult.  Cell phone ergonomics are terrible. 

Some of the edits on it are neat as you can see in a couple of mine here.  Also, emailing a shot while you're at the location to someone is fun especially when you're on vacation at a beach and the other person is stuck in some snowstorm at home.  :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157683436803336/with/34353106642/
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: francois on April 23, 2021, 09:50:25 am
This thread flew under my radar but considering the superb results, I'm glad to that I found it.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: John R on April 23, 2021, 11:19:22 am
Good thread and nice images overall, Armand. Really like the abstract green metal shot. I guess we don't need separate cameras for most subjects if we have newer phones. Looking at your daffodil shot, I notice the bokeh bleeds rights into the flowers. That must be a function of the computational software.

JR
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 23, 2021, 11:38:05 am
Nice set Armand.  I have a 2017 Samsung Galaxy S4.  Also, holding it and snapping is very difficult.  Cell phone ergonomics are terrible. 

Actually, Alan, some cellphone ergonomics are superb.  If you upgraded your years-old S4 to even an S6, you’d discover voice-activated shutter. This function is in many situations truly liberating for the operator. It’s especially useful for selfies, or if you can’t easily reach the on-screen shutter button.  This function has enabled many difficult shots for me.

Samsung has had this useful feature for years.  I recently changed back to a Galaxy from a Google Pixel for this reason only.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Alan Klein on April 23, 2021, 11:55:33 am
Actually, Alan, some cellphone ergonomics are superb.  If you upgraded your years-old S4 to even an S6, you’d discover voice-activated shutter. This function is in many situations truly liberating for the operator. It’s especially useful for selfies, or if you can’t easily reach the on-screen shutter button.  This function has enabled many difficult shots for me.

Samsung has had this useful feature for years.  I recently changed back to a Galaxy from a Google Pixel for this reason only.
Thanks Peter for the advice. I forgot my camera has voice activation.  Just tried it.  Works great.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on April 24, 2021, 05:17:46 pm
Thank you all!

The ergonomics might be worse in general but not always. I find it much easier to "sneak in" the phone in awkward positions for unusual angles.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on April 24, 2021, 05:19:44 pm
More

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080811-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080832-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080860-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080809-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080829-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2369080948-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 25, 2021, 11:23:48 am
I don't think my lowly iPhone 6 is up to the task. I don't think it could have taken any of these beautiful shots you have shown here, Armand.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on May 02, 2021, 10:49:06 pm
Thank you Eric!


Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on May 02, 2021, 10:50:06 pm
Do not go gentle into that good night


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2412264600-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2412271005-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: John R on May 03, 2021, 08:35:50 am
These are quite good images overall Armand. But these last two do show off colours and a green cast around the sunset and trees, and off colour casts around the branches that look like chromatic fringing. Yes the I phone has made a lot of progress.

JR
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 03, 2021, 09:23:56 am
A fine homage to Dylan Thomas.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: Peter McLennan on May 03, 2021, 12:21:55 pm
Excellent, Armand.  Impressive in both quality and diversity.

My Pixel 3 agrees with you.  This image was shot about 45 minutes before sunrise.  Impossible with any "normal" camera, IMO.

Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on May 03, 2021, 01:08:46 pm
Thank you guys!

John, a lot of that is not so careful jpeg processing on my part. I don't think it's that much chromatic fringing but color shifts on a limited information jpeg that has been pushed a little.
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on May 03, 2021, 01:19:23 pm
Excellent, Armand.  Impressive in both quality and diversity.

My Pixel 3 agrees with you.  This image was shot about 45 minutes before sunrise.  Impossible with any "normal" camera, IMO.

If you look at the seal AFTER the sunset shot, that's almost impossible without a lot of effort.


Here is what I mean:

iPhone vs single shot Z7, after sunset

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2380748115-5.jpg)

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2380748116-5.jpg)


And before the sunset, iPhone vs Z7 vs 3 shot HDR Z7

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2380748149-5.jpg)

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2380748106-5.jpg)

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2382908238-5.jpg)



All Z7 shots required quite a lot more effort and only the HDR one is head and shoulders better
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: armand on May 21, 2021, 11:25:39 am
More

This one did take a trip to LR and Photoshop (mostly to clone some flare out) but it would have been very difficult to get something even remotely close without hefty 4+ frames HDR
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268984-5.jpg)


I have multiple shots of this scene with various cameras and different times, and it's a bitch to properly postprocess, but the phone did a very good job (proper WB is crucial)
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268998-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268951-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268963-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268957-5.jpg)


The 13 mm equiv is handy at times
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268948-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2515268966-5.jpg)
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: John R on May 21, 2021, 01:48:39 pm
They are good and interesting takes on everyday walks. But I do feel uneasy when I see the AI sky treatment in the first image. Guess its a gut reaction.

JR
Title: Re: iPhone photography
Post by: francois on May 22, 2021, 08:11:39 am
Excellent shots, iPhone or not! It's true that the first looks unnatural but I like it anyway.