Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Justin on February 24, 2021, 05:23:44 pm

Title: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: Justin on February 24, 2021, 05:23:44 pm
A friend of mine has just bought her first printer, a Canon Pro 300 and she is keen to get accurate prints. She's editing on a Window's laptop.

Could anyone recommend any decent tutorials or articles, beginner friendly, on getting set up correctly for accurate screen to print results.

Rather than me try to explain and I'm not familiar with editing on a laptop anyway, it would be great if I could point her to an easy to follow guide/video.

Thanks
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: David Eckels on February 24, 2021, 06:57:22 pm
Start with digitaldog.net for sure
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: Justin on February 25, 2021, 03:07:49 am
Thank you.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: Rand47 on February 25, 2021, 08:45:04 am
Jeff Schewe’s book, “The Digital Print” along with Digital Dog.  You’re good.

Rand
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: Justin on February 25, 2021, 02:55:44 pm
Thanks, much appreciated. I was asking on behalf of a friend, plenty of reading to be going on with now. Many thanks.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: [email protected] on August 11, 2021, 02:49:06 pm
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm

I find this tutorial very useful, too.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: digitaldog on August 11, 2021, 02:59:55 pm
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm
Ouch, not so good, sorry. This comment alone, found somewhere in the forum archives (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120665.msg1004366#msg1004366) sums up this site:

Quote
I wonder how many people reading that link realize the image they incorrectly tout as the "Profile Connection Space" is actually the human gamut CIEuv chromaticity graph?  Might as well have a cat picture.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: KeithR on August 11, 2021, 11:26:38 pm
I would reccomend the video tutorials on the lula website untitled "Camera to Print". Now dated but a lot of sound advice for the beginner. Easy to follow chapters with Jeff Schewe & Michael Reichman.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: [email protected] on August 12, 2021, 03:28:46 pm
Ouch, not so good, sorry. This comment alone, found somewhere in the forum archives (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120665.msg1004366#msg1004366) sums up this site:

Oh well, if the fact that he used a CIE uv image as a proxy illustration for the PCS rather then CIE Lab or CIE xyz is the only sin he committed, I’m fine with it. I still find that series of articles very useful, but each to their own.

Cheers,
Erik
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: digitaldog on August 12, 2021, 03:30:47 pm
Oh well, if the fact that he used a CIE uv image as a proxy illustration for the PCS rather then CIE Lab or CIE xyz is the only sin he committed, I’m fine with it.
Not the only sin. Just an obvious (to some here) and super funny sin.
”The reason there's so much ignorance on the subject of color management, is that those who have it are so eager to regularly share it!” - The Digital Dog
We can start anywhere, but here's one:
Quote
BIT DEPTH TUTORIAL
Bit depth quantifies how many unique colors are available in an image's color palette in terms of the number of 0's and 1's, or "bits," which are used to specify each color.
Nope. The author doesn't understand the basic concept of what color is and color numbers! Sad but true.
Then they continue to muck up concepts later:
Quote
Since the Adobe RGB 1998 working space clearly provides more colors to work with....,
Clearly nope again. Basic misunderstanding of color gamut and encoding of color numbers. Sad but true.
And now how this really works:
http://digitaldog.net/files/ColorNumbersColorGamut.pdf
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on August 13, 2021, 12:34:26 am
Ouch, not so good, sorry. This comment alone, found somewhere in the forum archives (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120665.msg1004366#msg1004366) sums up this site:

+1

I would avoid the Cambridge in Colour website as I have found it contains misleading information.

I wrote to the website owner on one occasion and was ignored.  The (significant) error remains.

Jef Schewe and Andrew Rodney can be relied upon to give reliable accurate information, explained clearly, based on practical experience as well as a fundamental understanding of colour management.
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: JRSmit on August 13, 2021, 02:42:57 am
Agree with above, the Jeff Schewe and Andy Rodney books will give you all needed.
This Cambridge site is better neglected. As well as a lot of other sites by the way.
Another book, written by the late Bruce Fraser is also very much worth reading. (Forgot the title, cannot check as I am on holiday)
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: MichaelKoerner on August 13, 2021, 04:48:17 am
Another book, written by the late Bruce Fraser is also very much worth reading. (Forgot the title, cannot check as I am on holiday)

"Real World Colormanagement" by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy & Fred Bunting, I suppose.

+1  -  that book throws light on many aspects of color management in a well founded, extensive - and quite funny to read - way.

From 2003, but as his book describes the fundamentals, it'd not outdated. I'd love to see a contemporary version by one of today's CM gurus, though...
Title: Re: Beginner friendly guide to colour management needed
Post by: JRSmit on August 13, 2021, 07:06:10 am
Yep, that is the one. Thanks ;-)