Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on February 21, 2021, 02:49:43 pm
-
Hi team,
Shooting the IQ3 in a bright environment a few days ago I realized that the screen was nearly unusable.
Fortunately I was shooting with the XF and not a tech camera which allowed me to achieve a reasonable level of focus (if not perfect).
Is there a recommended shade type that could reduce the problem?
Thank you.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
I haven't used one but there is https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/dt-lcd-shade-for-the-phase-one-iq/
-Joe
-
Hi team,
Shooting the IQ3 in a bright environment a few days ago I realized that the screen was nearly unusable.
Fortunately I was shooting with the XF and not a tech camera which allowed me to achieve a reasonable level of focus (if not perfect).
Is there a recommended shade type that could reduce the problem?
Thank you.
Cheers,
Bernard
Bernard, remember the huge black cloth that photographers used to disappear beneath while one uplifted arm held a tray of magnesium powder? They're great! Provided your subjects aren't humans you need to interact with, you become one with the subject. It's hard on a summer's day, but nothing beats it! I used to use one when using the HB ArcBody and it was like being in private edit suite :)
-
Just out of interest. Do these backs have hdmi ports?
-
Thanks for the suggestions!
In fact I do have an Ebony dark cloth I use for my 4x5 but hadn’t thought of using it with the back, good thinking!
Cheers,
Bernard
-
A black cloth is definitely the best option if/where it is practical; it provides a nearly complete black out. Our shade (https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/dt-lcd-shade-for-the-phase-one-iq/) shade can't provide anywhere close to the black-out power of putting black cloth over both you and the subject, but still modestly improves the viewing experience and is convenient for situations where a black cloth would be cumbersome or otherwise impractical, and it was designed to take up zero additional room in your pack (by being reversible) and almost no weight (it's carbon-fiber composite material and quite thin).
TLDR:
Black cloth: maximally effective, moderately practical
DT LCD Shade: moderately effective, maximally practical
-
Why don't you use your two hands. I had never problems with it. Or did you shoot handheld?
Regards,
Ben
-
The DT hood will only fit the XF if you use the smaller viewfinder. It won’t fit on XF with the standard 90 degree viewfinder. I have one of these not the DT version but one sold directly to me by who I believe was the inventor who made them with a 3D printer. It helps but still can’t remove all the issues of direct sunlight in the LCD. The old truck I have used for years is a black hood or jacket over my head. Or the Hoodman magnifying loupe.
Paul C
-
Why don't you use your two hands. I had never problems with it. Or did you shoot handheld?
Regards,
Ben
I did try but it didn’t help. I was in the middle of a snowy landscape on a very bright day. Btwn my eyes accustomed to the level of brightness and the screen hit by the sun I could hardly see anything.
Considering the slow speed of live view refresh it made critical focusing impossible.
My black cloth would definitely have saved the day. The Ebony one is 100% black even in powerful light and has a velcro that keeps if reasonably wrapped around the camera even with some wind.
Thank again.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
There's always the Hoodman option. I've used a black cloth with Hassy H and GFX and it works wonderfully, but a PITA and last resort if a better option can't be found.