Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on February 21, 2021, 06:35:10 am

Title: On The Steps of St. Pauls - 1959
Post by: William Walker on February 21, 2021, 06:35:10 am
I would like to post this photograph for you comments.

It is not my photograph, I "discovered" it yesterday, taken by my grandmother. (I know my gran took the photograph because that is my grandfather at the top of the stairs!)

I was going through my grandfather's slides of their 1959 tour to Europe and found two - what I think - are gems. This is one of them.
Title: Re: On The Steps of St. Pauls - 1959
Post by: RSL on February 21, 2021, 09:07:00 am
I think your grandmother had a good eye, William. She obviously understood composition intuitively, which is the most effective way for it to be understood.
Title: Re: On The Steps of St. Pauls - 1959
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2021, 09:26:34 am
I agree with Russ.
It seems you have good photographic genes!
Title: Re: On The Steps of St. Pauls - 1959
Post by: John R on February 22, 2021, 11:59:17 am
I agree Russ. But what is intuitive is what you have learned in your lifetime. Lovely image. Not just the composition and light, but it has the appearance that the gentleman at the top has his eyes set on the lovely lady.

JR
Title: Re: On The Steps of St. Pauls - 1959
Post by: William Walker on February 23, 2021, 02:57:15 am
I agree Russ. But what is intuitive is what you have learned in your lifetime. Lovely image. Not just the composition and light, but it has the appearance that the gentleman at the top has his eyes set on the lovely lady.

JR

Yes John, the horizontal lines of the stairs and the bottom of the columns, the vertical lines of the columns, the diagonal line of the light - and - the implied diagonal line of my grandfather's eye on the lady.
And the light is pretty good too!

Thanks for affirming my take on this image.

I am going to make a large(ish) print for our living room!

Thanks also to Russ and Eric (I hope you are both well!)