Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: John Hollenberg on February 06, 2021, 03:51:43 pm

Title: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: John Hollenberg on February 06, 2021, 03:51:43 pm
The reason I ask is that the LCD on my Sony A7r2 is very difficult to see in bright sunlight.  I like to use the LCD to check the composition.  Is the GFX 100 LCD any better in bright sun?

Thanks.
Title: Re: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 06, 2021, 05:35:13 pm
It will have issues as most LCDs have in direct sun  But you always have the ability to tilt it away from direct sunlight. Never seems to be a problem for me.

Paul C

Title: Re: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: SrMi on February 07, 2021, 12:13:17 am
I have problems with LCD in direct sun with all my cameras, including GFX100. Hoodman's Hoodloupe can help in those cases.
I always wondered how the owners of the Phase One XT system work as a non-tiltable LCD is the only framing tool.
Title: Re: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 07, 2021, 07:05:52 am
I had hoped to see a tilting LCD on the IQ4. Since there is currently no Capture Pilot solution and has t been from first day of ship, direct sunlight on the LCD is very problematic.

Paul C
Title: Re: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: Rand47 on February 07, 2021, 10:49:53 am
The reason I ask is that the LCD on my Sony A7r2 is very difficult to see in bright sunlight.  I like to use the LCD to check the composition.  Is the GFX 100 LCD any better in bright sun?

Thanks.

The GFX LCD is the same as any other.  BUT, the GFX 100 w/ the tilt adapter for the EVF is a real blessing.  Makes composition and image review a breeze, especially for a geezer like me who doesn’t “bend” like he did when a young guy.  And I have a loupe for when I want to view the LCD.

Rand
Title: Re: GFX 100 LCD Viewable in Bright Sunlight?
Post by: John Hollenberg on February 07, 2021, 10:53:43 am
I found the following specs for maximum LCD brightness:

GFX 100 - 800 cd/m2 (https://en.fujifilmamericas.com.bo/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx100/features/page_04.html)

Samsung Galaxy S7 (my phone) - 855 cd/m2 (https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm)

I couldn't find specs for the Sony LCD brightness.