Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: OutdoorsLover on February 04, 2021, 11:16:41 pm

Title: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: OutdoorsLover on February 04, 2021, 11:16:41 pm
Since I'm here in the forum asking questions about film, I might as well ask another question about my lens!  :D

A while ago I picked up a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens, and played around with it a bit, but never really learned how to use to the extent that I'd like to. Can anyone recommend a book or online course that will really help me come to understand and appreciate the lens?

Cheers
Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: mcbroomf on February 05, 2021, 06:54:09 am
You could start here
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/photography-articles-and-reviews/tilt-and-shift-lens-articles-and-reviews/

Keith has a book as well but I'd guess that the articles will probably do the trick.
Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: BernardLanguillier on February 05, 2021, 08:16:52 am
You may also find that books about 4x5 large format photography may be useful also as they typically talk about camera movements.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: [email protected] on February 05, 2021, 02:25:09 pm
Ansel Adams: "The Camera"

and if you want to learn more, "The Negative" + "The Print".

For me, even in the digital age the best learning books about photography...



Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: HSakols on February 05, 2021, 07:11:22 pm
Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga explains the subject well and provides plenty of examples. 
Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: Balafre on February 06, 2021, 03:52:31 am
Hi - I had the same lens and went through exactly where you are! Cambridge University England online has some excellent free resources.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DT8JM0cYc

It's great journey, but can be tricky and rewards persistence :)



Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: OutdoorsLover on February 06, 2021, 12:04:41 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DT8JM0cYc
Hi Balafre,

The YouTube video that you shared is in German. Are you aware of anything similar in English, as I have no idea what they're saying?  :)

I'd love to see your images that you've shot with your T/S lens(es), if you'd like to share.

Cheers!
Title: Re: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Lens
Post by: Balafre on February 13, 2021, 05:00:32 pm
I never took my 24 outside - only ever used it in the studio, mainly for food shots. It was razor sharp, and machined like a decent Zeiss, but I wasn't able to optimise it 1) it vignetted far too soon and too much for my liking, and 2) a little too wide for the work I ended up using it for, and 3) my large fingers found it really frustrating to use the small controls deftly.
Settled instead on a 90 mm Schneider TS Makro Symmar f4.5 which you could get in a Canon EF or Nikon mount. It was sensational - big dials, resolution was 50% higher than the Canon and managed whites and tones so well at times it approximated MF in look. Momentarily fooled some very critical Ad Agency Art Directors!