Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on January 29, 2021, 02:31:49 pm

Title: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: BobDavid on January 29, 2021, 02:31:49 pm
A nighttime scene:
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: RSL on January 29, 2021, 02:36:04 pm
Good shooting, Bob. But, much as I hate to crop, I'd crop out the distracting tree on the right and confine the picture to the car wash and the moon and sky. Try it. It's pretty effective.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2021, 05:51:23 pm
For once I disagree with Russ about cropping.   ;)

I think the tree gives a nice balance to a fine image.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: BobDavid on January 29, 2021, 10:25:55 pm
I have tried cropping it and changing aspect ratios, but I always comes back to the full frame.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 29, 2021, 10:48:18 pm
Sound the bugles, pin the thread. Cropping is now officially acceptable on LuLa 😃.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: John R on January 29, 2021, 10:59:58 pm
Sound the bugles, pin the thread. Cropping is now officially acceptable on LuLa 😃.
Is a little blur okay too ;)

Lovely shot Bob. It will work with or without a crop. But the whole image does have an ambiance that a cropped version will not. Perhaps a cropped version would give a more pronounced American nostalgic feel.

JR
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: RSL on January 30, 2021, 07:53:21 am
The reason I suggested the crop is that when I first clicked on the thumbnail and the full picture came up on my monitor, the right side was cut off. What I saw was striking but ominous. When I brought the whole thing up, the effect was lost. Yes, with the tree it's pretty. If you like pretty, stick with it. It's good shooting either way. I kind of like ominous.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: francois on February 01, 2021, 07:30:25 am
Sound the bugles, pin the thread. Cropping is now officially acceptable on LuLa 😃.

The world is now upside down!  ;D
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: RSL on February 01, 2021, 07:51:29 am
C'mon gang, I've always said there are times when cropping is necessary. I've even ventured to criticize HCB, who is, if anyone is, my photographic idol, because I'm sure he lost some wonderful pictures by refusing to crop. Yes, it would have been interesting if Bob had shot this as a vertical to emphasize what was going on with the car wash. In the end, you frame what you see. I saw something different.
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 01, 2021, 11:32:04 am
The world is now upside down!  ;D
SO we'd all better start using view cameras. (It'll look right side up on the ground glass.)    ;D
Title: Re: Car Wash and Water Tower
Post by: francois on February 01, 2021, 11:46:30 am
SO we'd all better start using view cameras. (It'll look right side up on the ground glass.)    ;D

Excellent and expert advice!