Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NortheastPhotographic on December 31, 2020, 04:17:34 pm

Title: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: NortheastPhotographic on December 31, 2020, 04:17:34 pm
I am seeing these weird blotches of ink on some prints.  You can seem them clearly in the blue areas of this close up phone-pic.  Like too much ink was sprayed? 

This is Hahnemuehle FineArt Baryta glossy paper.  The printer (Epson P6000) was set to PK of course, Premium Lustre 260. The printer driver was set to the same, 1440 dpi, high speed, super microwave.  I actually printed from Qimage this time.  You can really only see them up close, otherwise it's a lovely print.  Really happy with the canned Hahnemuehle profile.

Any idears?

Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: BrianWJH on December 31, 2020, 04:29:41 pm
Are you saying that you've printed on this paper before same printer and previous settings and suddenly the coverage is blotchy?

Is this a new roll?

Brian.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: NortheastPhotographic on December 31, 2020, 04:36:30 pm
This is sheet paper.  I've printed on this paper before in an older R3000 but not often in my P6000.  I had been using rolls of a similar red river paper but I needed to do a quick print and have a bunch of this FA baryta stock.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: arobinson7547 on December 31, 2020, 04:39:22 pm
That looks like too much ink when it has dried.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: Panagiotis on December 31, 2020, 04:52:34 pm
I am seeing these weird blotches of ink on some prints.  You can seem them clearly in the blue areas of this close up phone-pic.  Like too much ink was sprayed? 

This is Hahnemuehle FineArt Baryta glossy paper.  The printer (Epson P6000) was set to PK of course, Premium Lustre 260. The printer driver was set to the same, 1440 dpi, high speed, super microwave.  I actually printed from Qimage this time.  You can really only see them up close, otherwise it's a lovely print.  Really happy with the canned Hahnemuehle profile.

Any idears?

Do you mean the white speckles? If yes it's most probably a defect on the paper coating and it's caused by the mechanical procedure to  cut and produced cut sheets from rolls. That was the explanation of Hahnemuhle when I had a similar problem with 5 A2 packs of Baryta FB 350. In solid color areas there were white spots like dust. I contact the distributor and he contact Hahnemuhle and they asked for samples. I sent them to Germany and they provided the above answer. They offered to replace the paper.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: NortheastPhotographic on December 31, 2020, 04:55:36 pm
The white speckles I believe are reflections but if you look into the blue areas you'll see blotches of dark.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: Garnick on December 31, 2020, 05:19:24 pm
Unfortunately I cannot add anything that might be useful to your printer issue.  However, I hope you will forgive me, but I did enjoy reading your introduction to this thread.  You actually gave something to me.  I just couldn't stop laughing when I read this sentence - "The printer driver was set to the same, 1440 dpi, high speed, super microwave". And again, please forgive me for laughing, but I needed a good laugh today and you have provided it. 

Thank you, and I do sincerely hope you will be able to find and fix the issue you have referred to here.

MAY YOU HAVE A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR  :)  :D  8)   
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 31, 2020, 07:31:03 pm
Gary may have the answer: The print spent too long in the microwave!   ;)
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: unesco on January 01, 2021, 03:22:34 am
overinking
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: arobinson7547 on January 01, 2021, 08:36:51 am
overinking?

That's what I thought but now, after reevaluating, I believe the wrong "Sensor Cook" setting was used <smile>


[I'm sorry but Garnick started it, it's all HIS fault <gin>]
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: Garnick on January 01, 2021, 12:22:31 pm
overinking?

That's what I thought but now, after reevaluating, I believe the wrong "Sensor Cook" setting was used <smile>


[I'm sorry but Garnick started it, it's all HIS fault <gin>]

OH OF COURSE -  I definitely take the fault, but I do thank you fellows for chiming in and adding to my efforts.  It was all tongue in cheek of course, and since it's been a few years since I've known such an experience, I just had to let it go.  I realize that might sound as if I'm complaining, but as my wife would say, Just Get Over It.  ;)

And again - To All - I WISH YOU A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2021   :) ;D :-* 8)   
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: JRSmit on January 01, 2021, 01:19:53 pm
Happy new year!
What temperature was the room when printing?
What is the batchnumber of the paper?
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: NortheastPhotographic on January 02, 2021, 11:59:21 am
Room temperature, no idea the batch number.  It's on of those portfolio boxes they sold and I threw out the documentation.  I've printed on this paper before and I don't believe it's a defect in the paper.

How would one control the amount of ink being sprayed?
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: JRSmit on January 02, 2021, 04:19:18 pm
Color Density, also media type.
Title: Re: What are these weird ink blotches?
Post by: mearussi on January 03, 2021, 03:59:35 pm
If you've used this paper before without problems then you have a defective paper coating that can't absorb the ink. The other possibility is that the company changed the coating without telling anyone.