Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: LesPalenik on December 23, 2020, 01:50:37 pm
-
A well-known Tennessee-based photographer committed suicide yesterday, and in his suicide note posted to Facebook, he blamed the fact that he could no longer support himself and his loved ones through the art and profession he loved. Sadly, there will be other cases like this. Some photographers get infected by shooting events with Covid-19 carrying guests, get depressed by lack of work or due to a stock agency that lowered their commissions per image to 10 cents.
Late Monday night, Ganly posted a note to his Facebook page stating that he would be taking his own life due to his photography business failing and also the “hate and ignorance” in the world.
“The main reason is that no matter how I try; I cannot support myself or the ones I love with doing what I love… photography,” Ganly wrote. “It is very apparent that photography is a dying industry and with the pandemic it has died almost completely.
-
I've been laid off a few times in my 50 years of work, left looking how I might survive and provide for my family. I just got back onto my horse and found new employment...one time totally out of my field. I think this person had other issues going on and his loss of his career was a scapegoat.
-
"cannot support myself or the ones I love with doing what I love"
There must be about 4 billion people in this world who could say the same, and do not commit suicide.