Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NeilPrintArt on December 02, 2020, 03:25:29 am

Title: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: NeilPrintArt on December 02, 2020, 03:25:29 am
Hello,
Happily running an Epson Surecolor P10000, but got a strange 'error' message and was wondering if anyone ever had a similar situation...
Replaced a full waste tank (with a brand new tank) and suddenly the control panel says "Perform powerful cleaning on all nozzles"?
The Epson guy sent another new waste tank and the same thing. When i insert the new waste tank suddenly I get a message on the control panel telling me to "Perform Powerful Clean...."
I have checked and double checked the nozzles, everthing looks 100% . Machine still runs fine. have been busy printing for a bout a week but the 'Powerful Clean..." message just sits there. Have reboot and reset and started into maintenance mode and reinstalled carts and swapped tanks etc etc...the message prevails
Eventually I did actually do a power clean (on all channels) and the message is still there!
Any ideas?
As I said when i posted this on the Epson Wide Format IO group....If I was a paranoid suspicious type I would say this is a devious and clever ploy by Epson to try and force people to buy more ink and more waste tanks by getting them to do unnecessary powercleans..!!
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: BrianWJH on December 02, 2020, 04:44:41 am
Neil, I replaced a waste ink tank last week on a P10070 after a replacment of a leaking ink delivery assembly and did not have any issue like you did.

Has there been a firmware update applied since your previous waste tank  was replaced?

Brian.
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: arobinson7547 on December 02, 2020, 07:36:49 am
I think it's quite nefarious on Epson's part. Power Cleanings are 'usually' only triggered AFTER multiple failed 'regular' cleanings.

That's [the message] just asking you to needlessly dump ink [so you can buy more]
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: Garnick on December 02, 2020, 07:48:46 am
Hello Neil,

Certainly a very unusual situation with the message that seems to hang on for ever.  You did mention that you had rebooted, but did you actually pull the plug? 

Unfortunately I have nothing more to add.  However, I would definitely suggest that you try this site -  https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat. If you cannot find any other approach I believe this is the best place to start again.  The folks there are very savvy with these sort of problems.  No guarantee of course, but a good place try for sure.  :) :D   
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: NeilPrintArt on December 02, 2020, 01:08:30 pm
Neil, I replaced a waste ink tank last week on a P10070 after a replacment of a leaking ink delivery assembly and did not have any issue like you did.

Has there been a firmware update applied since your previous waste tank  was replaced?

Brian.
Brian,
Thanks for this. One of the steps I have taken was to update the firmware. In fact it turned out I was running on a previous version of the firmware, there was a newer version available. I installed it but it made no difference.
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: NeilPrintArt on December 02, 2020, 01:13:44 pm
Hello Neil,

Certainly a very unusual situation with the message that seems to hang on for ever.  You did mention that you had rebooted, but did you actually pull the plug? 

Unfortunately I have nothing more to add.  However, I would definitely suggest that you try this site -  https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat. If you cannot find any other approach I believe this is the best place to start again.  The folks there are very savvy with these sort of problems.  No guarantee of course, but a good place try for sure.  :) :D   
Garnick, thanks for this. Yes I have tried pulling the plug :). And yes have tried Epson Wide Format group, but no joy yet. My Epson supplier says he is going to try pull a waste tank out of another working P10000 and bring that round and see if message goes away. Holding thumbs, cheers
 
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: Lessbones on December 02, 2020, 03:11:17 pm
This isn't an error, but more of a suggestion.  It doesn't have anything to do with the maintenance cartridges-- it seems like it's just a timed "reminder" to keep the head in good order-- My p20000 has said this on the screen for years now-- it doesn't actually trigger anything, and it goes away if you actually do run a powerful cleaning, but it's just an annoying reminder, so don't sweat it.
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: NeilPrintArt on December 03, 2020, 02:01:29 am
This isn't an error, but more of a suggestion.  It doesn't have anything to do with the maintenance cartridges-- it seems like it's just a timed "reminder" to keep the head in good order-- My p20000 has said this on the screen for years now-- it doesn't actually trigger anything, and it goes away if you actually do run a powerful cleaning, but it's just an annoying reminder, so don't sweat it.
Thanks for this. Yes, I agree that its more of a 'suggestion' and doesn't actually affect the running of the machine. So no, its not a big deal and yes I am just ignoring it. It just seems strange to me that it is only triggered by inserting a new waste tank. If I pull the new waste tank and reinsert the old (almost full) tank then the message goes away. Also, I did actually run a power clean after a couple days and the message still didn't go away. So I would have to say I'm just confused and curious!!
Title: Re: P10000 - weird waste tank 'error' message
Post by: arobinson7547 on December 03, 2020, 07:43:26 am
a suggestion? [to needlessly dump ink [so you can buy more]]

Who 'pays' for this suggestion, that Epson is making?
How much sense does it make to 'Power Clean' a Head that needs 'no' Cleaning?