Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Kern on November 29, 2020, 12:48:10 pm

Title: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Chris Kern on November 29, 2020, 12:48:10 pm
Figuratively as well as literally.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50660523283_1c7169380b_b_d.jpg)
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 29, 2020, 02:08:19 pm
Well seen.

May I demonstrate how I would process it?
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Chris Kern on November 29, 2020, 02:20:18 pm
May I demonstrate how I would process it?

Sure.
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 29, 2020, 03:00:57 pm
This is done quickly, using Apple's Preview app, with very rudimentary controls, but you'll get the idea.

Of course, that would be my interpretation of the scene, your view might be completely different.
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: RSL on November 29, 2020, 03:01:44 pm
Well seen.

+1
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Chris Kern on November 29, 2020, 03:09:29 pm
This is done quickly, using Apple's Preview app, with very rudimentary controls, but you'll get the idea.

Very interesting.  I tried a monochrome version, but pure black-and-white didn't occur to me; your treatment makes it quite abstract.
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: John R on November 29, 2020, 07:11:27 pm
Very interesting.  I tried a monochrome version, but pure black-and-white didn't occur to me; your treatment makes it quite abstract.
That's what I was going to say. Slobo's way of looking and thinking is just another rendition of the original. This is why I seldom critique good photographers and good images. It's just another way of abstracting what someone else's original abstraction. You can do this with virtually every image. But it is an interesting take. I really do like the original - makes me want to go back to slide film photography.

JR
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Chris Kern on November 29, 2020, 07:26:26 pm
I really do like the original - makes me want to go back to slide film photography.

I didn't try to mimic the color rendition (at least not consciously), but this is the kind of image I might have shot on Fuji Velvia.
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: Mark Nadler on November 29, 2020, 07:31:31 pm
I like both images.  Slobodan's image looks like a picture of a scultpure.  The original is more like a painting.

mark
Title: Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
Post by: RSL on November 29, 2020, 07:33:58 pm
The original has ambiguity that grabs you. Slobodan's takeoff is a fine piece of graphics, but it doesn't have the grabbing power of the original.