Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on November 18, 2020, 04:49:35 pm
-
Serbia is a new, unlikely oasis for NYC residents fleeing the city (https://www.foxnews.com/world/serbia-new-oasis-nyc-residents-fleeing-city)
Is this really the case Slobo, or just a fluff story?
-
Serbia is a new, unlikely oasis for NYC residents fleeing the city (https://www.foxnews.com/world/serbia-new-oasis-nyc-residents-fleeing-city)
Is this really the case Slobo, or just a fluff story?
Not to completely change the subject, but has anyone heard from Rob C recently?
-
I asked about Rob on my thread and.was told he's doing well just tired of the politics.
Kent in SD
-
I asked about Rob on my thread and.was told he's doing well just tired of the politics.
Kent in SD
Thanks
-
I asked about Rob on my thread and.was told he's doing well just tired of the politics.
Kent in SD
Good to hear that Rob C is doing OK. Thanks for sharing the info.
-
I asked about Rob on my thread and.was told he's doing well just tired of the politics.
I rather miss Rob's forum posts—on many subjects—which were always well-written and often impressively erudite.
I also miss Slobodan's political harangues, although he still puts in an occasional cryptic appearance in the politics thread—including one today. I suspect he may have taken up photography to fill the idle hours that were created by his decision to stop trying to infuriate the rest of us.
-
I wish I could have gone back to my "other" home in Belgrade this year! Now Fox has spilled the beans and when I get back in 2021, it will probably be taken over ;-p
In a decade of travel to Serbia, this small nation has grown on me. My first trip gave me trepidations since the US tried to bomb it back into the stone ages and left it a mess. I knew of one person there but had no connections to the strange language nor family nor faith. Yet the Serbs, former US allies from WWI & WWII and through my country turned its back on them, the Serbs did well pretty well without our assistance. My worries were for naught and I was treated like a long-lost relative, and I've returned many times since.
Slobodan is ahead of the curve for sure! I hope ex-pats making the leap over leave their "baggage" at home and assimilate into the great Serbian culture. That culture beckons to a sense of place that reminds me a lot of the way of a 1950s era America with the bonus of a hospitable and friendly culture dating back centuries and a civilization with roots stretching back ten thousand years.
In many ways, I've had Serbia to myself to photograph but now will have to compete with him next time I go back :-)
-
It sure would be nice to have
a hospitable and friendly culture
here in the U.S.A. Maybe sometime in the future.
-
It sure would be nice to have [a hospitable friendly culture]
here in the U.S.A. Maybe sometime in the future.
My experience is that you do have such a culture, away from what you see on TV. Arriving from the UK I was also struck by the regard for science and education in general held by "normal" people which contrasted strongly with the country I left behind.
-
Serbia is a new, unlikely oasis for NYC residents fleeing the city (https://www.foxnews.com/world/serbia-new-oasis-nyc-residents-fleeing-city)
Is this really the case Slobo, or just a fluff story?
It is.
I've been quite surprised myself just how true it is. I've been a member of several expats in Serbia groups on Facebook, and surprised how active they are. Plenty of of other nationalities, but also quite a number of Americans. We have regular get-togethers in bars or restaurants. Retires, young people, digital nomads.
Part of that is the cheaper life (for Americans), the other part a bohemian culture and who-cares attitude of Serbs.
There is a huge proliferation of English language everywhere, and most people speak it, especially the young.
The other day, I took this poetry mural at the very entrance to the city center:
P.S. And girls...oh, the girls here! ;)
-
It is.
I've been quite surprised myself just how true it is. I've been a member of several expats in Serbia groups on Facebook, and surprised how active they are. Plenty of of other nationalities, but also quite a number of Americans. We have regular get-togethers in bars or restaurants. Retires, young people, digital nomads.
Part of that is the cheaper life (for Americans), the other part a bohemian culture and who-cares attitude of Serbs.
There is a huge proliferation of English language everywhere, and most people speak it, especially the young.
The other day, I took this poetry mural at the very entrance to the city center:
P.S. And girls...oh, the girls here! ;)
Any signs of this fashion trend in Serbia, https://brokinis.com (https://brokinis.com) ?
-
Any signs of this fashion trend in Serbia, https://brokinis.com (https://brokinis.com) ?
There are easier ways to commit suicide here ;)
-
I've deleted several posts. If you want to discuss covid or travel restrictions, do it in the bear pit.
Jeremy
-
I've deleted several posts. If you want to discuss covid or travel restrictions, do it in the bear pit.
Jeremy
Given that:
1. The discussion included Serbia as a current popular destination for USA citizens, for several reasons, including the lack of quarantine requirement;
2. These days travelling restrictions and countries requirements for people arriving are sometimes not clear;
3. I simply mentioned that Portugal does not require quarantine for arrivals, and corrected slobodan on his assumption, based on the Portuguese Government official page;
4. Discussion was polite.
I fail to see why you deleted such posts. Bear pit? Really? It is not possible to discuss anything there in a civilized manner.
-
Given that:
Bear pit? Really? It is not possible to discuss anything there in a civilized manner.
+1
-
I've deleted several posts. If you want to discuss covid or travel restrictions, do it in the bear pit.
Not sure why?
The OP is about travel to Serbia from the US at the time of the pandemic, and with a broader context that many people embark on expat life these days. In that sense, mentioning Portugal as a possible other destination is not outside the topic, nor is political or controversial. Discussing Covid in the context of the OP is equally appropriate.
-
I anticipated trouble, particularly from Alan Klein's post, and acted to prevent it. My threshold for deletion is, at the moment, very low, which may result in false positive results from the tests I apply.
Jeremy
-
Not sure why?
The OP is about travel to Serbia from the US at the time of the pandemic, and with a broader context that many people embark on expat life these days. In that sense, mentioning Portugal as a possible other destination is not outside the topic, nor is political or controversial. Discussing Covid in the context of the OP is equally appropriate.
Maybe in order to be fully informed the OP should have posted in the politics thread :-)
-
It is.
I've been quite surprised myself just how true it is. I've been a member of several expats in Serbia groups on Facebook, and surprised how active they are. Plenty of of other nationalities, but also quite a number of Americans. We have regular get-togethers in bars or restaurants. Retires, young people, digital nomads.
Part of that is the cheaper life (for Americans), the other part a bohemian culture and who-cares attitude of Serbs.
There is a huge proliferation of English language everywhere, and most people speak it, especially the young.
The other day, I took this poetry mural at the very entrance to the city center:
P.S. And girls...oh, the girls here! ;)
Great to hear Slobo, and please, I'm married. ;)