Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: mseawell on November 15, 2020, 10:17:58 am

Title: East of Eden
Post by: mseawell on November 15, 2020, 10:17:58 am
A thin layer of snow is already on the ground here in northern Utah as we brace for another storm tonight. This morning before sunrise I made my way to the mountains, eager to see how the land looked and I wasn't disappointed. From on high I could see Huntsville and Eden immersed in fog so I made my way down the mountain and into some very thick pea soup. Finally, I thought I was done and drover back towards Ogden Canyon but not before running into a fog bank rolling in somewhere...east of Eden

Fuji X-T4
Fujifilm 10-24
Adobe Lightroom
SEP
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: armand on November 15, 2020, 10:33:39 am
The scene is very nice! I'll take snow over gloom any day.

On a technical side I think something is off with your lens or sensor, there is inconsistent sharpness in the frame which I don't think can be explained entirely by different DOF. I don't if it's dirt or something else. I've noticed a similar thing on your other shot where I asked if it was a focus stack.
I have the same lens and while it can occasionally mess a corner (OIS issue) is much more consistent.
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: mseawell on November 15, 2020, 10:41:37 am
Sharp eye! I don't think it is the sensor. I'm pretty sure it is the way I do my sharpening when I bother that is. How I sharpen when I post and print are two different matters entirely. I use Qimage for my printing and I'm happy with it.

Mark
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: RSL on November 15, 2020, 12:01:22 pm
Good seeing, Mark. That's what really makes the difference. Not lenses.
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 15, 2020, 02:14:03 pm
Good seeing, Mark. That's what really makes the difference. Not lenses.
+1.
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: Alan Klein on November 15, 2020, 03:12:36 pm
Looks like heaven. 
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 16, 2020, 03:41:56 am
Very good shot.

I see something strange, a border/limit in some areas of the sky? I have attached an example, with arrows indicating the area.

Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: mseawell on November 16, 2020, 08:38:11 am
That is weird! I'll have to dig deeper. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mark
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: David Eckels on November 16, 2020, 09:30:39 am
Lovely shot, Mark. Those areas look like mask with no feathering for noise reduction: there is less noise outside of them.
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: mseawell on November 16, 2020, 09:47:20 am
Sounds about right! I'm not really into doing much masking to be honest but I have been playing of late. I'll just open it back up and take a look.

Mark
Title: Re: East of Eden
Post by: maddogmurph on November 21, 2020, 06:10:22 pm
Always Original. I can't help but click on your posts when I see them.