Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Motion & Video => Topic started by: Dinarius on October 27, 2020, 02:24:50 pm

Title: Advice needed on clip-on microphone for voice recording.
Post by: Dinarius on October 27, 2020, 02:24:50 pm
I’ve been using a Rode on-camera mic for recording atmospheric and local sound. It’s fine.

But, it’s hopeless for voice in a quite room - picks up any lens noise, for starters.

What advice can people offer on off-camera mics?

As a one-man band, I don’t want to get into booms. I will only be recording individuals speaking straight to camera.

Has anyone tried using a mobile phone as a recording device with a lapel mic?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Advice needed on clip-on microphone for voice recording.
Post by: Jim Pascoe on November 07, 2020, 12:10:02 pm
Hi - I've just bought (after some online research) a Sennheiser XS wireless digital lapel mike.  It is very simple to use - the mic has a lead which attaches to very small transmitter in the subjects pocket.  Another device, the receiver, sits in the hot-shoe of your camera with a lead into the microphone input.
I have tested it and will be using it tomorrow in action.
It's not as adjustable as some of the more expensive options - but simplicity to me is important at the moment.

I have also used a Rode lavallier mic plugged into my iPhone - but I don't really want to have my phone in someone else's pocket.  It worked well though and is obviously a cheaper option.

Jim

Title: Re: Advice needed on clip-on microphone for voice recording.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on November 07, 2020, 01:31:10 pm
The Rode Wireless Go gets good reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYHKSnxYr0

There is also a lot of experience being shared due to the large number of users:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyFbI4yOOig