Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mcbroomf on October 24, 2020, 08:33:56 am
-
I'm fairly new to canvas and linen printing, and not selling prints professionally so my throughput is low. I just loaded and made a 1st print on a new 44" roll of Epson Canvas Exhibition Matt and the weave is (the best way I can describe it) slanted. In every other roll of canvas or linen I've printed on (admittedly only 1/2 a dozen or so) the weave has been perfectly parallel to the edge of the print. On this print if I follow a single weave, over 24" it's offset by 2". This is pretty significant and it was immediately obvious when I looked at the print. It looks very weird to me.
I do plan to call Epson on Monday to see what they say. I wondered if this is abnormal, ie a defective roll? Anyone seen this before?
Thanks
Mike
-
I should also add that I have double checked the load and tension of the roll. Both OK so the printer does not seem to be the cause. Final nail for the roll is that I rescued the very 1st piece off the roll from the bin. It was a nozzle check after a PK-MK switch and it shows the same slant at both leading and cut edges.
-
I'm fairly new to canvas and linen printing, and not selling prints professionally so my throughput is low. I just loaded and made a 1st print on a new 44" roll of Epson Canvas Exhibition Matt and the weave is (the best way I can describe it) slanted. In every other roll of canvas or linen I've printed on (admittedly only 1/2 a dozen or so) the weave has been perfectly parallel to the edge of the print. On this print if I follow a single weave, over 24" it's offset by 2". This is pretty significant and it was immediately obvious when I looked at the print. It looks very weird to me.
I do plan to call Epson on Monday to see what they say. I wondered if this is abnormal, ie a defective roll? Anyone seen this before?
Thanks
Mike
I've printer on a lot of canvasses but have never seen what (I think) you're describing.
You're going to have to post a photo of that for me to know what you're talking about.
-
I'm fairly new to canvas and linen printing, and not selling prints professionally so my throughput is low. I just loaded and made a 1st print on a new 44" roll of Epson Canvas Exhibition Matt and the weave is (the best way I can describe it) slanted. In every other roll of canvas or linen I've printed on (admittedly only 1/2 a dozen or so) the weave has been perfectly parallel to the edge of the print. On this print if I follow a single weave, over 24" it's offset by 2". This is pretty significant and it was immediately obvious when I looked at the print. It looks very weird to me.
I do plan to call Epson on Monday to see what they say. I wondered if this is abnormal, ie a defective roll? Anyone seen this before?
Thanks
Mike
What does the canvas look like without going through the printer. If the weave is slanted right on the roll, send it back to Epson for a replacement.
-
Hopefully these show what I mean. I didn't think I could show the kew over a long edge so this is a close up, but still obvious. You can see how slanted the weave is against the cut. These are both sides of the nozzle check, ie 1st 2 inches of the roll. The print which is 29 x 36 is perfectly centered on the canvas which was the next thing printed, and as I mentioned the roll is properly aligned, no skew, and the tension is the same both sides.
-
What does the canvas look like without going through the printer. If the weave is slanted right on the roll, send it back to Epson for a replacement.
Yes it is, hopefully the images above show that clearly.
-
A couple more. 1st showing an rule running across the print, parallel to the print and (should be) the weave.
2nd showing a close up of the weave at the edge of the rule (without moving the rule of course), and how slanted it it.
-
Interesting. I don't recall seeing this on the other canvasses I've printed, though I've also never looked for it either. I also tend to choose the canvas with the smallest noticeable weave which may be a reason I've never seen it. Next time I have a chance I'll check the ones I have.
-
I've noticed it to a lesser degree on canvas before. My big issue is that when I have a spool like this I seem to have more problems with skew when loading it into the printer. I don't know if that's actually related or just coincidence and confirmation bias.
-
I contacted Epson yesterday. I could not find a selection for support of papers/canvas etc so I used the selection for the printer. I got a reply back asking for photos so I sent them in together with a full description. Waiting to hear back.
Mike
-
Epson are sending a new roll.