Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mearussi on October 15, 2020, 01:07:01 pm

Title: Best matte black printer
Post by: mearussi on October 15, 2020, 01:07:01 pm
With all the new printer releases has there been any claim or demonstration of any improvement in matte black printing? For instance, all of Epson's claims of increased dmax from their latest printers seem to only apply to PK not MK. 

I'm presently using the Canon ipf6400 but if there's a better printer for matte paper that can produce an improved dmax I'd be interested in upgrading.

Thanks
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: JRSmit on October 15, 2020, 01:54:10 pm
With all the new printer releases has there been any claim or demonstration of any improvement in matte black printing? For instance, all of Epson's claims of increased dmax from their latest printers seem to only apply to PK not MK. 

I'm presently using the Canon ipf6400 but if there's a better printer for matte paper that can produce an improved dmax I'd be interested in upgrading.

Thanks
For MK inks (fine art matte papers) there is no improvement in the last 3 generations Epson.
With the SCP60xx/90xx it can help to reduce color density(ink density) a bit, good for black/white prints, not so for color prints. (With the SCP95XX I did not find an improvement)

Choose the best fitting base media type is important.

Currently working with SCP9000’s in my printstudio. For Hahnemuhle the Velvet Fine Art Paper is my choice, for Innova papers the Water Color Radiant White the choice.  For Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 i get to L value in the low 14. (DMax of 1.76 or so)


Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: mearussi on October 15, 2020, 02:19:55 pm
For MK inks (fine art matte papers) there is no improvement in the last 3 generations Epson.
With the SCP60xx/90xx it can help to reduce color density(ink density) a bit, good for black/white prints, not so for color prints. (With the SCP95XX I did not find an improvement)

Choose the best fitting base media type is important.

Currently working with SCP9000’s in my printstudio. For Hahnemuhle the Velvet Fine Art Paper is my choice, for Innova papers the Water Color Radiant White the choice.  For Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 i get to L value in the low 14. (DMax of 1.76 or so)
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. So it sounds like my present printer is as good as it gets (for the present) for matte papers.
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: unesco on October 15, 2020, 03:26:04 pm
Epsons Sure Color (P600, P800, P5000-9000) have much better MK black than Stylus Pro series (x880, x900), IMHO better thank ipf 6400 (I was to go with ipf6300, but finally chose P800).

Sure Color MK can achieve density levels on standard fine art rag papers comparable to Epson Hot Press paper on x880, that was specifically designed for Stylus Pro inks.

ipf is similar to old Epsons in MK density on fine art media. Pro-x000 are much better (denser).

Sure Color MK on Hot Press is outstanding (unfortunately, paper just discontinued), can get even L*=12-13

Historically, HP had the best MK, then Epson, then Canon (in reverse for PK). Today, differences are much smaller. Try to make sample prints before deciding. I love ipf for PK look, but not MK.
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: datro on October 16, 2020, 09:14:07 am
Sure Color MK on Hot Press is outstanding (unfortunately, paper just discontinued), can get even L*=12-13

Are both Epson Hot Press Bright and Hot Press Natural affected?  Can you please point to a reference that this paper is being discontinued by Epson? I'm unable to find any reference that indicates the paper is being discontinued.
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: unesco on October 16, 2020, 01:23:31 pm
Are both Epson Hot Press Bright and Hot Press Natural affected?  Can you please point to a reference that this paper is being discontinued by Epson? I'm unable to find any reference that indicates the paper is being discontinued.

yes, the whole hot/cold press line is affected. the best reference is that it is virtually impossible to buy it in Europe now (don't know about other regions), and I got info from two e-shops with papers for inkjets, that it is discontinued. Epson substitutes it with Fine Art Cotton (Smooth/Textured, Natural/Bright) line, but it it is just FA rag like many others, L* = 15-16 at SureColor printers. I have tried Fine Art Cotton Smooth Bright 17" roll. The only advantage is not curling after print and dry.
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: aaronchan on October 16, 2020, 09:52:22 pm
With all the new printer releases has there been any claim or demonstration of any improvement in matte black printing? For instance, all of Epson's claims of increased dmax from their latest printers seem to only apply to PK not MK. 

I'm presently using the Canon ipf6400 but if there's a better printer for matte paper that can produce an improved dmax I'd be interested in upgrading.

Thanks

The HP should have the best dMax for the matte black.
But if you are using Epson, you can convert your MK to Piezography Ultra HD MK which is so far the blackest MK I've ever used.

aaron
Title: Re: Best matte black printer
Post by: mearussi on October 17, 2020, 01:05:31 am
The HP should have the best dMax for the matte black.
But if you are using Epson, you can convert your MK to Piezography Ultra HD MK which is so far the blackest MK I've ever used.

aaron

Interesting idea. I wonder how Piezography black would mesh with my ipf6400 and its color inks.