Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: shadowblade on October 11, 2020, 01:13:02 pm

Title: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: shadowblade on October 11, 2020, 01:13:02 pm
Just going back and reprocessing some old photos.

Canon 5D2 with 24-105mm f/4L and CPL at 105mm, f/8, 1/40s, ISO 100.

Which version - full-colour, or red channel only?
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 11, 2020, 01:34:28 pm
With any conversion from color to B&W I would expect one to be "obviously" more successful.
But here, I can't choose a favorite. They are both excellent.
I wouldn't hang them next to each other, but maybe in different rooms, so I could se the color when I'm craving color, and see monochrome when I'm craving that.



Good stuff!
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: RSL on October 11, 2020, 03:03:24 pm
I"ll take the red channel. The graphics are powerful.
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: francois on October 12, 2020, 08:19:52 am
Nice and I also have a preference for the B&W (red channel) version…
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: Rayyan on October 12, 2020, 09:03:55 am
I prefer the bw, Red Channel conversion.

Best.
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: shadowblade on October 13, 2020, 06:22:34 pm
Updated black-and-white version.

The other was a straight copy of the red channel of the colour version, just to see how it would look.

This time, I blended in small amounts from the green and blue channels, to restore some texture to the highlights (which were fairly uniformly around 240-250 in the red channel alone).
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: nirpat89 on October 13, 2020, 06:48:41 pm
Looks like you also un-cropped the image - I much prefer the more squarish aspect ratio of the last one, and the image as well.  Very impactful....classic black and white photograph.  Ansel would be proud!

:Niranjan.
Title: Re: Sunrise in Nepal
Post by: shadowblade on October 13, 2020, 07:02:42 pm
Looks like you also un-cropped the image - I much prefer the more squarish aspect ratio of the last one, and the image as well.  Very impactful....classic black and white photograph.  Ansel would be proud!

:Niranjan.

I think the crop works better in the colour and the full image in the black and white.