Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: sralser on December 12, 2006, 02:57:16 pm

Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: sralser on December 12, 2006, 02:57:16 pm
I am trying to decide between the 3800 and the 5000.  I would like to print 10x7" notecards.  It looks like I can do this on the 3800 but not the 5000.  in the dpreview forum I saw comments that some people have been able to print smaller than 8x10 on the 5000.  Is anyone able to confirm this in any way?  Is it possible to fool the printer ot do 7x10"?   Could a frimware upgrae fix this as well?  

thanks

Steve
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: David White on December 12, 2006, 03:21:40 pm
Why not just print multiples on larger paper and cut them apart after printing?  Probably more economical.  There are plenty of papers out there that would be suitable for notecards.
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: sralser on December 12, 2006, 04:04:42 pm
Quote
Why not just print multiples on larger paper and cut them apart after printing?  Probably more economical.  There are plenty of papers out there that would be suitable for notecards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know - but you can get pre-scored notecards, which makes life easier.

Steve
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: John Hollenberg on December 12, 2006, 05:02:24 pm
Try asking on the Wiki:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com (http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com)

It seems to me that something came up about this suggesting that slightly smaller than 8X10 can be printed, but I don't remember the details or where I read it.

--John
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: tbonanno on December 13, 2006, 12:01:50 am
Quote
I am trying to decide between the 3800 and the 5000.  I would like to print 10x7" notecards.  It looks like I can do this on the 3800 but not the 5000.  in the dpreview forum I saw comments that some people have been able to print smaller than 8x10 on the 5000.  Is anyone able to confirm this in any way?  Is it possible to fool the printer ot do 7x10"?   Could a frimware upgrae fix this as well? 

thanks

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


The simple answer.. NO, 10x7 won't cut it on the 5000 unless you enjoy "cutting" out your cards from a larger sheet.  The 3800 should handle it fine.
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: cariarer on December 13, 2006, 02:58:52 am
Also importent: The IPF5000 can't print borderless on sheet paper. Only on rolls. So the best option here is to get a bigger paper and cut it to size. That's what I do (even with roll paper).

Regards, Marco...
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: Island Design on December 19, 2006, 02:57:12 am
Was  just wondering the same thing myself.

The less expensive cost per print of the IPF 5000 appeals to me greatly for jobs like 100 or 200 gloss 5 x 7 cards.

One solution could be to change to 8.5 x 11 prescored that fold to 5.5 x 8.5. But then you have 20% higher paper cost and higher ink cost as well.

Quote
So the best option here is to get a bigger paper and cut it to size. That's what I do (even with roll paper).
How long would you estimate it would take you to cut down and score 200 cards though for example and what equipment are you using to give the cards a professional "hallmark"-like score & fold?
Title: minimum print size on 5000 ?
Post by: Island Design on December 19, 2006, 03:02:04 am
Actually, maybe I'm worrying too much.

8411     55lb. Frio Gloss 7x10 50 Sheets
PRESCORED Folds to 5" x 7" Top Seller    $18.25
         
8413    55lb. Frio Gloss 8.5x11 50 Sheets
Folds to 5.5" x 8.5"    $24.48

Using a $200 stack trimmer, it would be pretty quick to print the 8.5 x 11 prescored cards and then cut them down to 7 x 10 full bleed. An additional $0.12 per card.

I wonder if the ink savings vs. the Epson 3800 would offset the discarded paper on the cut-off bleeds.