Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 09, 2020, 09:51:44 am

Title: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 09, 2020, 09:51:44 am
We seem to have more castles to photograph in Scotland than you could ever wish for, so I thought with this particular shot, instead of just shooting the castle in close and going for the detail (which I also did of course and from every conceivable angle), I would instead try to give it some context, by also showing it within its immediate surroundings - and I think it worked out quite well, even if I say so myself ;)

Dave
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 09, 2020, 12:08:01 pm
The foreground adds great context. Good seeing!
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 09, 2020, 12:36:13 pm
The foreground adds great context. Good seeing!

Thank you Eric  :)

It was raining heavily just before I took this shot, so I waited it out for a while until a hole in the cloud passed over me and lit everything up momentarily including the foreground before taking it. So it was really just a case of finding a composition that I liked and then waiting until nature lit it up for me in a way that seemed to show it at its best and click. But then isn't that really what landscape photography is all about  ;D

Dave
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 09, 2020, 03:33:57 pm
I'm glad you didn't have to wait three weeks for nature to light it up!
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 10, 2020, 02:22:11 am
Lovely.
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: francois on September 10, 2020, 08:51:32 am
Excellent… In fact, I prefer "in context" shots for this type of building. It gives an idea of the surroundings and let us imagine the life in the castle.
Bravo
Title: Re: A partly ruined Castle at the side of a boulder strewn beach
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 14, 2020, 07:16:35 pm
Thanks everyone  ;)

I know I am late to the game for signing up to social media, but I have just signed up to Twitter as SkyePhotoGuide, but I have no idea how I link to my profile, so any advice would be appreciated. But anyway, I am now on there (for good or bad), so if you are too as it seems most of the rest of the planet aleady is, then please send me tweet, as I seem to be all on my own at the moment :-[

But I am sure I will get the hang of it eventually  :)

Dave