Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on September 03, 2020, 11:20:42 am

Title: Climate changed
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 03, 2020, 11:20:42 am
These huge, twisted, dead trees, very different from their living descendents, make me curious about the very different climate that they must have lived in.
Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: David Eckels on September 03, 2020, 11:33:28 am
Beautiful environmental portrait, Scott.
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: francois on September 03, 2020, 11:42:38 am
Poignant shot… I like it!
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 03, 2020, 08:02:03 pm
Beautiful environmental portrait, Scott.
I agree.

It is somewhat reminiscent of the Bristlecone Pines in California, except they al have living parts and are the oldest known trees in the world, I believe.
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: armand on September 03, 2020, 08:55:07 pm
Interesting! Is this a composite?
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: Bob_B on September 04, 2020, 07:12:28 am
+1
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: RSL on September 04, 2020, 10:04:53 am
A fine shot, Scott. There used to be some of these in Garden of the Gods if you were willing and able to climb up to them. At 90 I can't do it any longer, so even when I get back to Colorado I'll have to just remember what they were like. I don't think any of them were as gorgeous as this natural sculpture. Bravo!
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 04, 2020, 01:05:54 pm
Thanks, folks! Glad you liked it.

Eric: some of the local old larches have a bit if life in them. Whether I shoot a particular tree depends largely on it's setting (must be interesting) and being slightly downhill so I can shoot it without distortion.

Armand: it's not a composite. Perhaps it's a little over-processed? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Russ: thanks for the Garden of the Gods tip, I'll look into it if I ever get out that way.  I'm trying to fit in a bit of activity before I turn 90. Looks like you're shooting lots in Florida.
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: armand on September 04, 2020, 11:36:17 pm
Thanks, folks! Glad you liked it.

Eric: some of the local old larches have a bit if life in them. Whether I shoot a particular tree depends largely on it's setting (must be interesting) and being slightly downhill so I can shoot it without distortion.

Armand: it's not a composite. Perhaps it's a little over-processed? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Russ: thanks for the Garden of the Gods tip, I'll look into it if I ever get out that way.  I'm trying to fit in a bit of activity before I turn 90. Looks like you're shooting lots in Florida.

I do like it, my comment came from the uneven difference in sharpness between the tree and the foreground but mostly because I have a hard time figuring out the scale; if those fir trees in the foreground are not tiny, the tree must be huge.
Title: Re: Climate changed
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 05, 2020, 03:44:32 pm
I do like it, my comment came from the uneven difference in sharpness between the tree and the foreground but mostly because I have a hard time figuring out the scale; if those fir trees in the foreground are not tiny, the tree must be huge.

Thanks, Armand. I'll look at the sharpness. These relics are indeed huge, "Climate changed". I may do a series on them.