Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: maddogmurph on August 29, 2020, 02:18:01 pm

Title: Misty Dissolution
Post by: maddogmurph on August 29, 2020, 02:18:01 pm
I guess sometimes patience pays off. I tend to be the kind of photographer that always wants to move. As I've gotten further along, I've found that sometimes the beauty of the world is revealed not by seeking and finding, but by waiting and observing. We spent three days in a similar place near glacier peak called high pass, and I can say it was a really good experience for me to sit in these misty clouds and simply be. Waiting for something I knew would probably eventually come... the clearing. I knew this because of my experience in this place being above the clouds before... history tends to repeat itself.
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: RSL on August 29, 2020, 02:22:51 pm
And in the end, here's a lovely picture. Good shooting again, Murph.
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 29, 2020, 08:49:40 pm
And in the end, here's a lovely picture. Good shooting again, Murph.
+1.
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: biker on August 30, 2020, 08:07:16 am
Yes! That's the right moment when rocks are coloured by the light just enough. Beautiful!
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 30, 2020, 09:15:58 am
Well worth the wait.  Extraordinary DR, extraordinary beauty.
Thanks for your diligence.
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: maddogmurph on August 31, 2020, 01:14:57 am
Well worth the wait.  Extraordinary DR, extraordinary beauty.
Thanks for your diligence.
The dynamic range of today's camera spoils me from where we came from in the film era. This particular DR was accomplished by panoramic stitching. One shot facing down, slightly lighter, the other up, around f13 - I don't care if I lose a little sharpness when shooting the horizon as we naturally feel like the orton effect should be taking place in this zone anyway and it results in a better sunstar. Two shots essentially accomplishes your Focus Stack, and Dynamic Range. This is important when light is changing fast, plus you can hand hold if you don't plan to print ultra large. Stitch them together, you easily get the same DR as the $50k phase one IQ4. That being said, I'd love to just be able to take one shot... although the IQ4 would just make my focus stacking issue more apparent, and the post processing with such large files... well now that I'm on this new AMD chip, the 3950x, I think I'd be alright. But previously that type of data crunching would have just crashed my system. But regardless, I'd need two shots with the IQ4 just the same to solve my focus stack issue, so in the end I still carry this d850. Although I'm going to be watching the results of Sony's new lens, the 12-24 F2.8 with interest. The one pound I'd lose in my bag from going to mirror-less is becoming more and more attractive. I only carried the 24MM F1.4, and 70-200MM F4 on this trip because of weight issues, and it probably caused me to miss a couple shots not having that super wide focal length.

-MD
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: francois on August 31, 2020, 06:37:26 am
I love the intense glow…
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on September 01, 2020, 06:44:29 am
Beautiful.
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: RMW on September 01, 2020, 09:17:36 am
Very well done, however it was done!
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: MattBurt on September 01, 2020, 04:20:30 pm
Very nice!
Title: Re: Misty Dissolution
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 03, 2020, 11:05:21 am
Good grief! (Nice!)