Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 22, 2020, 06:05:21 am

Title: This is Crazy!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 22, 2020, 06:05:21 am
...
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: jeremyrh on August 22, 2020, 06:06:33 am
Welcome back to the hysteria, Slobo :-)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: LesPalenik on August 22, 2020, 06:39:34 am
I saw a spider on the ceiling.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 22, 2020, 08:26:41 am
That truly is amazing, Slobodan. Thanks for that.

I focused on the three colored dots for at least 30 seconds before raising my head to stare at the ceiling, which is painted white. After a fast blink I saw a sharp and well-processed, colored image of an attractive lady. The negative was turned into a positive. The image lasted for several seconds then gradually faded away. I tried it 3 times, and it worked every time.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: fdisilvestro on August 22, 2020, 08:55:43 am
Optical illusions are fascinating!
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: kers on August 22, 2020, 09:33:41 am
wow!
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: elliot_n on August 22, 2020, 09:52:31 am
Nice!

(The coloured dots are a red herring.)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 22, 2020, 10:20:38 am
She's cute.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 22, 2020, 10:48:14 am
It would be fascinating to understand what's happening in the brain. The image as viewed on the screen is essentially a B&W negative, but is transformed into a color positive when viewed on the ceiling. I'm wondering if those who have not often practiced the development of prints from negatives in the wet darkroom, and/or the scanning of negatives and slides with a digital scanner, would experience the same transformation, from B&W negative to color positive, when raising their gaze to the ceiling.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 22, 2020, 10:51:34 am
It would be fascinating to understand what's happening in the brain. The image as viewed on the screen is essentially a B&W negative, but is transformed into a color positive when viewed on the ceiling. I'm wondering if those who have not often practiced the development of prints from negatives in the wet darkroom, and/or the scanning of negatives and slides with a digital scanner, would experience the same transformation, from B&W negative to color positive, when raising their gaze to the ceiling.
The brain doesn't "see" anything like it actually is. It's all interpretatively adjusted in consciousness which we can't describe either.  Try explaining the color purple to a blind person.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2020, 11:32:13 am
I've known for many years that if you stare at a contrasty image for a long time and then switch to staring at a blank white wall, the image will appear as a negative. Apparently staring at a fixed image causes something in the brain (or in the eye?) to try to "soften" the contrast, resulting in the negative version when you look at a plain wall.

Curiously, for my color-defective eyes (common red-green variety), when I stared at the three dots for 30 seconds and then at my white wall, I got a positive image of the girl, but to my eyes there was no color!

Maybe I needed her to wear a brighter lipstick.   ;)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 22, 2020, 01:38:50 pm
Just to mention: my ceiling is a very dark gray, almost black, and I still see a color image of the girl clearly.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: antoine_k on August 22, 2020, 08:26:50 pm
I followed the instruction and it didn't happen for me.  But then I looked back to my monitor and there she was.  Hmmm.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: LesPalenik on August 22, 2020, 09:45:58 pm
I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 22, 2020, 09:54:36 pm
I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
Does your wife know what you're up too?
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: LesPalenik on August 22, 2020, 10:22:44 pm
Does your wife know what you're up too?

That must be it! If I were still married, I would see pictures of girls everywhere.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 22, 2020, 10:34:33 pm
That must be it! If I were still married, I would see pictures of girls everywhere.
Life's funny that way. :)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 22, 2020, 10:39:18 pm
The brain doesn't "see" anything like it actually is. It's all interpretatively adjusted in consciousness which we can't describe either.  Try explaining the color purple to a blind person.

That's a very profound philosophical statement, Alan.  :D

Of course, all perception, by whatever means, through any of the 6 senses, must be an interpretation. All acts of seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and thinking, require complex interpretations through the body's neural networks.

However, it's clear that such interpretations can differ among individuals, in accordance with the person's cultural background, genetic conditions, experiences and stored memories, which is why I wondered if someone who has never been involved in photographic image processing of film negatives could experience this imaginary conversion of a rather unappealing B&W negative, as viewed on the computer screen, to a well-processed, nicely colored, positive image of an attractive lady on the ceiling.  ;)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 22, 2020, 10:42:03 pm
That's a very profound philosophical statement, Alan.  :D

Of course, all perception, by whatever means, through any of the 6 senses, must be an interpretation. All acts of seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and thinking, require complex interpretations through the body's neural networks.

However, it's clear that such interpretations can differ among individuals, in accordance with the person's cultural background, genetic conditions, experiences and stored memories, which is why I wondered if someone who has never been involved in photographic image processing of film negatives could experience this imaginary conversion of a rather unappealing B&W negative, as viewed on the computer screen, to a well-processed, nicely colored, positive image of an attractive lady on the ceiling. ;)
Desperateness?
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 22, 2020, 11:58:43 pm
Desperateness?

Not in my case. I'm usually very calm and don't worry about anything; not even Covid-19.  ;)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Jim Pascoe on August 23, 2020, 08:06:44 am
Yes!  It does work - I was expecting to see nothing and then Slobodan tell me it was just a joke.

Pretty girl too - though I like my wife because she's always looking on the bright side, and the girl in the picture just looks too negative.........

Jim

Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: kers on August 23, 2020, 08:30:45 am
It would be fascinating to understand what's happening in the brain. The image as viewed on the screen is essentially a B&W negative, but is transformed into a color positive when viewed on the ceiling. I'm wondering if those who have not often practiced the development of prints from negatives in the wet darkroom, and/or the scanning of negatives and slides with a digital scanner, would experience the same transformation, from B&W negative to color positive, when raising their gaze to the ceiling.
It is colour
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 23, 2020, 08:50:59 am
She really needs to do something with her nose.  Have you tried the clone tool?
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 23, 2020, 09:43:30 am
It is colour

Thanks for taking the trouble to process the image. Out of curiosity, I repeated the exercise of staring at the 3 dots on the lady's nose, in your colored version, then raising my eyes to the ceiling and blinking once.

Guess what! The image I saw on the ceiling became a B&W negative, but a very poor quality negative with hardly any detail on the dark face, such as eyes and mouth.

I think we need a neurologist to comment.  ;)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 23, 2020, 10:05:11 am
Maybe a psychiatrist.  :)
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 23, 2020, 11:24:40 am
Maybe a psychiatrist.  :)

I'd prefer a Neurologist because neurology is closer to the group of 'hard' sciences, whereas Psychiatry closer to the group of 'soft' sciences such as Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, and so on. (Note, I didn't mention Climate Change.  ;)   )
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Alan Klein on August 23, 2020, 11:49:43 am
You beat me to it.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 24, 2020, 09:20:04 am
Yup, it works.
Title: Re: This is Crazy!
Post by: Ray on August 25, 2020, 09:37:52 am
Yup, it works.

But what was the quality of the imaginary image on the ceiling? Mine was exceptionally nice.  ;)