Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: tsinsf on August 15, 2020, 09:01:37 pm

Title: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: tsinsf on August 15, 2020, 09:01:37 pm
In older version of PS you could create a new Canvas Size and the new area was blank, such that you could copy the original pixels and then use Edit/Transform/Scale to extend the pixels into the new space. If I have cropped an image, now when I try to extend the area I get the cropped pixels back. I don't want to delete pixels when I crop. Is there something else I can do to crop an image, keep the deleted pixles, but extend the cropped photo into new empty canvas?
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: fdisilvestro on August 15, 2020, 10:38:32 pm
One way to do it is to convert your current image into a smart object. Edit the smart object and crop or confirm the cropping there and save the changes. Then go back to your original file and change the canvas size. 
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: digitaldog on August 16, 2020, 11:37:06 am
If you crop an image, be careful to examine the option for Delete Pixels.
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: tsinsf on August 16, 2020, 02:04:19 pm
I have always unchecked Delete Pixels. In the past when creating new canvas it was blank.  Now it contains the cropped pixels. Is this new in PS?
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: digitaldog on August 16, 2020, 02:15:48 pm
Can you provide a step by step of what you're doing and then asking?
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: Peano on August 16, 2020, 03:15:14 pm
Is there something else I can do to crop an image, keep the deleted pixles, but extend the cropped photo into new empty canvas?

I don't think so. If you untick the delete pixels option, extending the canvas is just going to reveal the previously cropped pixels. If you tick the delete option, the extended canvas will be blank.

EDIT: If you want to keep the deleted pixels, keep a copy of the uncropped image. How difficult is that?
Title: Re: Photoshop problem extending canvas size
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on August 16, 2020, 05:23:02 pm
Might doing the following solve your problem (although it doesn't directly answer your question):

With the file open in Ps, duplicate it; then return to the original and crop/extend canvas as you wish; then return to the duplicate, select the area you want to add to the original, then drag it to the original.