Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on August 11, 2020, 06:21:59 pm

Title: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: PeterAit on August 11, 2020, 06:21:59 pm
Over several years, one of my favorite photo spots was a motel and fishing camp that had sat empty for maybe 20 years. I like this photo but cannot decide between color and B&W. A very subtle difference, to be sure. Thoughts?
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: degrub on August 11, 2020, 07:41:24 pm
What about a “platinum” toning or something similar ?
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: Mark Nadler on August 12, 2020, 02:30:18 am
I think that the tad of color adds something to the image.

mark
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: rabanito on August 12, 2020, 10:07:56 am
I think that the tad of color adds something to the image.

mark

Yes. But The cropping at the bottom is too tight for my taste and the color makes it more visible.
I'd take a step or two back and try again.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: RSL on August 12, 2020, 10:21:07 am
It's pretty good wabi sabi, Peter, but I agree with Rab. I don't know what you're using for your B&W conversion, but I'd recommend DxO's Nik Plugins for this kind of thing. The conversion looks a bit wussy. It needs better contrast. You're losing too much of the grain in the door panels.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: PeterAit on August 12, 2020, 12:25:51 pm
Yes. But The cropping at the bottom is too tight for my taste and the color makes it more visible.
I'd take a step or two back and try again.

For better or worse, the subject has been demolished. I do tend to like the color. I tried selenium toning but it didn't seem to add anything.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: Frans Waterlander on August 12, 2020, 12:30:57 pm
Definitely needs more contrast in both.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: KLaban on August 12, 2020, 01:42:00 pm
I feel it would be a better image with the doorstep colour converted to be virtually monochrome but with the remaining colour as is:subtle.

It could certainly use some tonal punch.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: fdisilvestro on August 12, 2020, 04:32:52 pm
I was going to say that I prefer the black and white version because the colour in the doorstep distracted me, but I think that Keith idea is better, convert to monochrome the step and leave the subtle colour in the rest of the image
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: Alan Klein on August 12, 2020, 05:14:52 pm
Nice shots Peter.  I think both are very good.  Each has its own qualities.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 12, 2020, 11:14:34 pm
I was going to choose the B&W until I read Keith's comment. I agree with his assessment.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: BAB on August 15, 2020, 11:03:30 am
This subject desperately needs Side lighting, if you can’t use artificial light a silver reflector will do wonders. I would try a rather large one. The light needs to rake across the subject. In my opinion it’s a B&W image, but try to get some latitude of white gray dark gray light black and black tones. Good luck
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: RSL on August 15, 2020, 02:53:30 pm
I agree. Only problem's going to be that since the door is recessed slightly into the wall, sidelight's gonna be difficult.
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: KLaban on August 15, 2020, 04:10:40 pm
I think the only problem's going to be that the subject has been demolished. 
Title: Re: Long abandoned door--and a question
Post by: RSL on August 15, 2020, 07:37:20 pm
Well, that might be a problem all right, Keith. But we can surmise how it would go had the thing not been demolished.