Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: John Camp on August 08, 2020, 08:53:57 pm

Title: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: John Camp on August 08, 2020, 08:53:57 pm
I wonder if our beloved monitor would allow threads devoted to nothing but ad hominy attacks.

In case he is willing, let me start:

This shit is nothing but field corn processed through some kind of alkali. It tastes like it was excreted by pigs. What sort of hare-brained idiot would even think of putting it in his mouth? Alkali, probably cause your to loose all your teeth, to say nothing of your sense of taste.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: faberryman on August 08, 2020, 09:01:16 pm
I wonder if our beloved monitor would allow threads devoted to nothing but ad hominy attacks.

In case he is willing, let me start:

This shit is nothing but field corn processed through some kind of alkali. It tastes like it was excreted by pigs. What sort of hare-brained idiot would even think of putting it in his mouth? Alkali, probably cause your to loose all your teeth, to say nothing of your sense of taste.

I guess we all have our least favorite food.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Robert Roaldi on August 08, 2020, 09:21:39 pm
I've never had hominy or grits, but I don't like cottage cheese.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: PeterAit on August 09, 2020, 11:43:06 am
I've never had hominy or grits, but I don't like cottage cheese.

If you have had corn tortillas, you have had hominy.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Robert Roaldi on August 09, 2020, 03:46:41 pm
If you have had corn tortillas, you have had hominy.

Thanks, I stand corrected.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 09, 2020, 07:18:36 pm
Hominy times have I told you, I ain't got the grits for that!
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: LesPalenik on August 09, 2020, 08:23:04 pm
When it comes to ground corn, I find polenta much nicer than hominy.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: degrub on August 09, 2020, 08:44:24 pm
Too fine, too fine..... ;D
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: David Sutton on August 10, 2020, 12:19:02 am
....
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: MattBurt on August 10, 2020, 12:23:15 am
Big posole fan here. I attack it with gusto.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: rabanito on August 11, 2020, 12:06:54 pm
Big posole fan here. I attack it with gusto.

Another English word added to my vocabulary.

But not to my "carte"  :[
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: PeterAit on August 14, 2020, 05:59:56 pm
In music, you've got melody, different notes at different times. And then you have different notes at the same time: hominy.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: James Clark on August 14, 2020, 06:22:01 pm
In music, you've got melody, different notes at different times. And then you have different notes at the same time: hominy.

Hominy and me
We're pretty good company
Looking for an island
In our boat upon the sea.

-Elton John
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 15, 2020, 12:14:40 pm
Hominy angels can sit on a pinhead?
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 19, 2020, 12:13:38 pm
My gawd!  This has gone beyond the pale.  Next thing, you'll be attacking Cream of Wheat.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: degrub on August 19, 2020, 12:22:05 pm
only with blueberries.... ;D
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: digitaldog on August 19, 2020, 12:53:45 pm
Actually here in New Mexico, it's called pozole. And the best is a little place in Santa Fe called Los Amigos, on Rodeo (not pronounced as they do in Los Angeles) road. 
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: antoine_k on August 19, 2020, 01:51:59 pm
"No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits." 
Movie - My Cousin Vinnie.   ;D
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: MattBurt on August 20, 2020, 12:09:20 pm
Actually here in New Mexico, it's called pozole. And the best is a little place in Santa Fe called Los Amigos, on Rodeo (not pronounced as they do in Los Angeles) road.

Interesting. My wife's family comes from the San Luis valley just north of the NM border and while it's similar to NM around there they make posole, no pozole.
I have a feeling it is still the same dish.
Title: Re: A Thread Devoted to Ad Hominy Attacks
Post by: Ken Bennett on August 27, 2020, 01:56:15 pm
Grew up in an Italian family, but we never ate polenta. My grandmother thought it was "peasant food." (She would know, coming from a desperately poor family.) So my mom never made it.

Moved to the South, discovered grits. Most places around here, grits are terrible. Watery, flavorless, or all salt. But, stone ground grits made with lots of butter and cream, then baked with a couple of eggs for body and texture, and some grated sharp cheddar for flavor - now that's good.

Discovered posole out West, started making it at home. The best dried posole we've found is from Rancho Gordo; cook it in an instant pot. Seriously. Now our daughter lives in New Mexico, and if I ever get to visit her again I will eat my fill of posole and various item smothered in red and green chile.