Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on July 29, 2020, 07:04:19 am

Title: Rural landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 29, 2020, 07:04:19 am
I took a week off recently and went to my house in Longueira, SW Portugal. I made some photos of the rural landscape in the region:

https://blog.paulobizarro.com/?p=1329

Regards.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Bob_B on July 29, 2020, 08:05:44 am
Great duo. I very much like the first one.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2020, 08:23:10 am
+1. Love this kind of stuff.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 29, 2020, 08:39:47 am
Nice, both!
I'm a big fan of those round haybales. My wife and I call them "Weetabix," after the English wheat breakfast cereal (even though Weetabix biscuits aren't round.)
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: francois on July 29, 2020, 09:17:12 am
Hay balls are always good elements in a frame. I like them, the help imagine the depth of the landscape.
Both shots are very nice and I also like your Neowise image.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 29, 2020, 11:10:53 am
Thanks gents. Unfortunately, more and more I see these traditional bales being packed in white plastic. I suppose it is better for the farmers, as they are better preserved for longer times.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2020, 11:33:12 am
Yeah, I see the same thing here, Paulo. Guess it's good for the farmers. Not so good for the photographers. Painters can still pretend.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: francois on July 29, 2020, 12:05:13 pm
The white plastic thing seems to become universal, unfortunately.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 29, 2020, 12:30:15 pm
As a rural resident and frequent observer of forage production techniques, it's my duty to inform you that, in my neck of the woods at least, they're called "Big Rounds".  Not to be confused with "Big Squares", a similar size and weight, but rectilinear in shape.  And "Small Squares", which are the traditional hay bales.

It's absolutely amazing how mechanized this process has become. A single worker can roll up dozens of acres of Big Rounds in a few hours, and in a few hours more, they're all gone.  Packed off to feed animals throughout the winter.

I've been known to reclaim large used pieces of that white plastic for my own nefarious photographic uses.  Tough, strong and white, it makes a great reflector and an even better light tent.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 29, 2020, 02:24:05 pm
When the weather is good, there may be time to catch the "Big Rounds" before they get wrapped in white plastic (for protection from the rain.)

Once they are wrapped, my wife and I call them "Marshmallows."
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: armand on July 29, 2020, 02:55:49 pm
Great duo. I very much like the first one.

+1
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 30, 2020, 06:44:06 am
We also have the "square"ones (which are not squares, of course). Less photogenic though. Indeed, it is impressive to see the machines rolling up these things.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 01, 2020, 05:19:52 am
Beautiful post, beautiful images.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Rayyan on August 01, 2020, 07:07:38 am
Really nice images. The rural part comes through very nicely.
Best.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 03, 2020, 11:18:53 am
Beautiful post, beautiful images.

Thanks Rajan.
Title: Re: Rural landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 03, 2020, 11:19:19 am
Really nice images. The rural part comes through very nicely.
Best.

Glad you liked it.