Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: PeterAit on July 19, 2020, 11:42:36 am

Title: TIFF thumbnails?
Post by: PeterAit on July 19, 2020, 11:42:36 am
In Windows Explorer, some TIFFs display as thumbnails of the image while other display as a "TIFF" icon. Why the difference?
Title: Re: TIFF thumbnails?
Post by: digitaldog on July 19, 2020, 12:34:11 pm
I don't do Windows but....
Could be compression, could be save options.
http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf
Title: Re: TIFF thumbnails?
Post by: fdisilvestro on July 19, 2020, 07:52:07 pm
In my experience, windows is pretty bad handling Tiff files, especially if they are large. I guess there may be a timeout issue.

Try refreshing the thumbnail by right-clicking on the folder you have the images and select "Refresh" (see attached image)
You might have to refresh more than once.

I recommend to use a different program such as Adobe Bridge if you need to go over thumbnails and keep explorer in list mode
Title: Re: TIFF thumbnails?
Post by: kjkahn on July 19, 2020, 09:30:26 pm
In Windows Explorer, some TIFFs display as thumbnails of the image while other display as a "TIFF" icon. Why the difference?

In at least some cases, the thumbnail comes from the active layer at the time the file was saved. I've had it happen when the active layer at the time the file was saved was an adjustment layer (rather than an image layer). The compression option might determine when this happens.