Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: rabanito on July 18, 2020, 05:19:40 pm
-
.
-
MG? It is, or at least was, a kind of car over here.
Jeremy
-
MG? It is, or at least was, a kind of car over here.
Jeremy
MG=Maschinengewehr= Machine Gun
If I remember well the car brand MG was a nickname given because of the rattling of the lousy british engineering and (so they say) the name stuck
Just a little joke ;)
-
I believe MG was actually Morris Garage.
I had a chance several years ago to visit a Nazi ammunition bunker on my family's land in Norway. It was buried in a hillside like your "MG" bunker. It was quite an eerie feeling to explore inside it. If I can find the (pre-digital) photos, I'll post them.
-
I believe MG was actually Morris Garage.
I had a chance several years ago to visit a Nazi ammunition bunker on my family's land in Norway. It was buried in a hillside like your "MG" bunker. It was quite an eerie feeling to explore inside it. If I can find the (pre-digital) photos, I'll post them.
Would be nice to see your treatment of the scene :-)
-
Would be nice to see your treatment of the scene :-)
I haven't been able to find my pix on my PC, so I have to wade through boxes of darkroom prints to find them. I'm sure I never discarded them, but apparently I never scanned the prints (or negatives) either.
Give me a while to find them.
-
Give me a while to find them.
Conceded
;D ;D
-
My prints from darkroom days are in chaos, but I found and scanned the negatives, which were from my lovely old Mamiya 6 film camera.
My mother and I visited my father's family in Aalesund, Norway, in 1996. A cousin had the key to the WWII Nazi ammunition bunker, dug into a hillside on the family's property, and he offered to open it for us to see it.
The first three images are of two doors and a small "window" in the exterior.
-
The next two are from inside, first looking inward, and then out toward the door we came in on. The bunker had three rooms, with these "gothic" arch-like doorways between them, making the place feel like some religious shrine. It seemed to me that the Nazis were considering the domination of the world and the destruction of any who disagreed with them to be a sacred cause.
Really eerie.
-
Thank you Eric.
Yes, the ogival archs are peculiar. What could have been the reason?
Looks more like Islamic or Hindu to me but I'm not verya knowledgeable :-)