Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Jonathan Cross on July 14, 2020, 06:29:32 am
-
Is Apple's announcement about Big Sur meaning that it is a successor to Catalina? If so, given that Catalina has only been around since last Autumn, is that an admission that Catalina is not as good as they hoped?
(I am still using Mojave)
Best wishes,
Jonathan
-
Every year in Autumn they change system; so nothing new here.
I read Catalina is stable sincce 15.5; but i am also om Mojave... and like my 32 bits programs
-
From my perspective Catalina has been stable since 10.15.2
I waited on some software from 3rd parties which wasn't available until 10.15.3 and that's when I installed Catalina.
I'm on 10.15.5 now and I've never had any issues with Catalina. YMMV
-
It's an every year thing like kers says. It's also the first OS to support the new Apple CPU's and will apply more as the new hardware comes out this fall.
The current status is:
Mojave - 10.14 - runs 32bit & 64bit apps
Catalina - 10.15 - runs 64bit apps only
Big Sur - 11.0 - public beta this fall, supports new processors
Don't plan to move to it this year, maybe next year. Apple has been good about doing security updates for multiple platforms. I'm still on 10.14, and will be there for a while.
-
Catalina 10.15.6 was released today.