Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 09, 2020, 10:58:41 am

Title: roots
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 09, 2020, 10:58:41 am
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: roots
Post by: francois on July 09, 2020, 12:30:53 pm
I'm a bit uncomfortable with this one. I don't know why but, after all, it might be a good thing?
Title: Re: roots
Post by: John R on July 09, 2020, 05:55:16 pm
I love it! I like the composition; how the trunk anchors but the roots carry the eye forward and throughout the image. I also like how the softness and the distribution of the whites tempers the dark bark as it spreads its tentacle-like roots.

Well done mate.

JR
Title: Re: roots
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 11, 2020, 01:31:07 pm
I'm a bit uncomfortable with this one. I don't know why but, after all, it might be a good thing?

What makes you uncomfortable? It would be interesting to know. As you say, maybe it's not a bad thing.

I love it! I like the composition; how the trunk anchors but the roots carry the eye forward and throughout the image. I also like how the softness and the distribution of the whites tempers the dark bark as it spreads its tentacle-like roots.

Well done mate.

Thanks, John.

Jeremy
Title: Re: roots
Post by: degrub on July 11, 2020, 02:36:02 pm
the character of the roots reminds me of an octopus probing for cavities to flow into. The roots seem more sinister though... probing and breaking the body of the rock apart... ???
Title: Re: roots
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 11, 2020, 07:54:29 pm
I'm with John R on this one. I love it!
I can never resist a tree with a lively root system.
Title: Re: roots
Post by: francois on July 13, 2020, 04:20:34 am
What makes you uncomfortable? It would be interesting to know. As you say, maybe it's not a bad thing.
…
Jeremy

Probably because the roots look like a living creature and it grows on me… Maybe some Giger creation!