Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Onslow on July 08, 2020, 10:26:21 pm
-
Morning All,I have an issue with my new Epson SC-P5000 (Australia 5070) 17" printer. I am using Hahnemuhle Baryta FB which is lovely. However, every print I am getting headstrikes at the start of the print in the white border.
I have adjusted the platen gap in the driver (Win 10 x64) from Auto to Wide then Wider. The headstrikes reduce but do not disappear as shown in the attached image. Hahnemuhle recommend using premium Lustre Photo Paper 260 as the media type. The roll is brand new, and has had 6 prints off it at 17x25 each. Each shows headstrikes in the white border at the start of the print, not the L&R borders or the end of the print. Strikes do not occur on the printed area itself.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
EDIT. I have done the paper thickness test and it is best aligned with 3, the thickness set in the driver as well.
-
As I can guess from the pics, your paper curls so it is normal to have head strikes. Is this sheet paper? You need to de curl it.
Paper thickness for Baryta Fb is 4 (0.37).
-
Also, on that model can you increase the suction when the paper is loaded?
-
Is the platen suction on 0?
Suggestions
Set paper thickness to 4
Increase top margin.
-
As I can guess from the pics, your paper curls so it is normal to have head strikes. Is this sheet paper? You need to de curl it.
Paper thickness for Baryta Fb is 4 (0.37).
Thanks. :) The paper is on a new roll. I am unable to set the thickness to 4 in the driver. When I choose the recommended media type, the thickness is set to three and I am unable to change it.
-
Also, on that model can you increase the suction when the paper is loaded?
I have had a look and all I can do is reduce the suction from -1 to -4 for watercolor type papers when they wrinkle.
-
Is the platen suction on 0?
Suggestions
Set paper thickness to 4
Increase top margin.
The platen suction is set to standard. The at is the only option apart from reducing it for watercolor papers settings at -1 to -4.
Numerous attempts to set the thickness to 4 were made to no effect. It could only change to 15 or 3 regardless of what number key was pressed. I tried it just now and it stuck!!
The top margin will be increased by an inch or so just to move the strikes away from the image itself as it will be hidden under matting.