Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NikosR on December 08, 2006, 06:05:56 am
-
I just noticed that Hahn. is introducing a new fine art paper Photo Rag Pearl 320. This is marketed as a cross between Photo Rag and Fine Art Pearl (PR base and texture, FAP coating) and, unlike both PR and FAP will not have any OBAs added.
More here Photo Rag Pearl at PhotoPlus Expo (http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/1609/pr-photo-rag-pearl-320-the-highlight-at-the-photoplus-expo-show-in-new-york.html)
-
I just noticed that Hahn. is introducing a new fine art paper Photo Rag Pearl 320. This is marketed as a cross between Photo Rag and Fine Art Pearl (PR base and texture, FAP coating) and, unlike both PR and FAP will not have any OBAs added.
How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin? Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)? Or is there more to it than that?
-
How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin? Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)? Or is there more to it than that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, it seems from their announcement that there's more to that. They are talking about Photo Rag's base and surface. FAP has a distinctly different surface thatn PhotRag
-
How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin? Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)? Or is there more to it than that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Photorag Satin is a matte black paper, this new pearl would be a photo black paper.
-
Photo Rag Pearl will be an OBA-free semi-matte paper. Any chance Michael will review this paper? He hasn't (as far as I recall) discussed longevity issues with regard to newer photo papers. I keep expecting (hoping) to find an article on OBAs but no luck yet.
-
Photo Rag Pearl will be an OBA-free semi-matte paper. Any chance Michael will review this paper? He hasn't (as far as I recall) discussed longevity issues with regard to newer photo papers. I keep expecting (hoping) to find an article on OBAs but no luck yet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you aware of Henry Wilhelm's website: www.wilhelm-research.com. There is a wealth of material on all that stuff, with reports on all the papers and machine his lab has tested and for which his reports are allowed into the public domain.
-
Are you aware of Henry Wilhelm's website: www.wilhelm-research.com. There is a wealth of material on all that stuff, with reports on all the papers and machine his lab has tested and for which his reports are allowed into the public domain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I am familiar with Wilhelm's research. Of course, it will be quite a while before there is an article on the longevity of Photo Rag Pearl. I suspect (hope) that it will approach the ratings for HP's new inks and Hahnemuhle paper.
I am interested in reading (in particular) why Michael chooses to use papers which make heavy use of OBAs. I am sure he is as informed on this topic as he is on so many topics photographic, so I am eager to hear why he chooses not to shy away from papers with OBAs such as Fine Art Pearl.