Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: David Eichler on June 23, 2020, 08:10:51 pm

Title: Jagged Edges with Selections
Post by: David Eichler on June 23, 2020, 08:10:51 pm
Recently been seeing jagged edges in Photoshop with lines that should be perfectly straight. I am talking about selections made with the polygonal lasso.

Has something been changed in a recent update and I am missing a setting to correct this? I haven't made any changes in my workflow recently.

Makes no difference whether the anti-alias box is checked.
Title: Re: Jagged Edges with Selections
Post by: Peano on June 24, 2020, 12:39:58 pm
A little more info, please? At what zoom level are you seeing the jaggies? I tried the following as an experiment with the lasso tool: a diagonal box selection with no anti-alias filled with black on a blank layer, and one with anti-alias on another layer. If you do this and zoom to 800%, are you seeing something different from what I have here?

Title: Re: Jagged Edges with Selections
Post by: David Eichler on June 24, 2020, 02:45:19 pm
A little more info, please? At what zoom level are you seeing the jaggies? I tried the following as an experiment with the lasso tool: a diagonal box selection with no anti-alias filled with black on a blank layer, and one with anti-alias on another layer. If you do this and zoom to 800%, are you seeing something different from what I have here?

No, I don't have to go to that extreme a zoom to see it. I can even see it in a full-frame view in some cases, and it is readily apparent when zooming in to 50% or 100%. This is not a subtle thing.

Btw, doing straight-line selections with the Pen tool does not produce this effect.
Title: Re: Jagged Edges with Selections
Post by: Peano on June 24, 2020, 05:06:03 pm
Btw, doing straight-line selections with the Pen tool does not produce this effect.

That's because the pen tool creates vector objects. They never have jagged edges.

Possible fixes I would try: First, reset the tool. If that doesn't work, delete the Prefs file (save your settings before deleting it).
Title: Re: Jagged Edges with Selections
Post by: David Eichler on June 28, 2020, 08:47:22 pm
That's because the pen tool creates vector objects. They never have jagged edges.

Possible fixes I would try: First, reset the tool. If that doesn't work, delete the Prefs file (save your settings before deleting it).

Thanks. A reset seems to have done the trick, though I have no idea why that should work. I can understand why trashing the preference file is a fix for a variety of issues.