Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on June 22, 2020, 06:31:59 pm

Title: Búðakirkja
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 22, 2020, 06:31:59 pm
Búðakirkja. (https://blog.parrikar.com/2020/06/22/budakirkja/)

Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: David Eckels on June 22, 2020, 07:15:24 pm
What a distinctive take on such an icon. Very creative. Congratulations.
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 22, 2020, 07:41:16 pm
What a distinctive take on such an icon. Very creative. Congratulations.
+1.

What a sense of isolation.
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: MattBurt on June 22, 2020, 07:48:46 pm
Yes! Love this different approach. Bravo!
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 23, 2020, 04:54:35 am
Nice one.
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2020, 05:11:31 am
What a distinctive take on such an icon. Very creative. Congratulations.

I totally agree, very creative and minimalist, a real cracker.

I don't know how you were able to keep your cursor away from the clone tool and then clicking on that tiny aerial thingmy, but glad you left it in and didn't touch it, although I bet I wouldn't have had that level of will power :)

Great shot Rajan.

Dave
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 23, 2020, 06:01:04 am
David, Eric, Matt, Paulo, Dave - thank you.

Dave - what is the "tiny aerial thingmy" you are referring to?
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: francois on June 23, 2020, 07:34:36 am
Excellent take on the black church… I like it very much.
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 23, 2020, 09:21:42 am
Dave - what is the "tiny aerial thingmy" you are referring to?
A little to the right of the church I see a tiny inverted "U" shape, and farther to the right a slim tower or pole. Perhaps one of those is what Dave is referring to.

They are barely visible, but they do add a tiny bit of context. I'm glad they are there (even though I didn't see them the first time I looked.)
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 23, 2020, 11:45:13 am
A little to the right of the church I see a tiny inverted "U" shape, and farther to the right a slim tower or pole. Perhaps one of those is what Dave is referring to.

They are barely visible, but they do add a tiny bit of context. I'm glad they are there (even though I didn't see them the first time I looked.)

Oh, I see. That is a small arch leading to the church entrance, and then there is the flagpole.

Thanks, Francois.

Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2020, 12:37:05 pm
Dave - what is the "tiny aerial thingmy" you are referring to?

Oops sorry Rajan, but I think it might actually be a flagpole, but none the less the tall thin thing to the right of the main structure - this is not a criticism btw, in fact it is a compliment, because as I say, I would have found it very difficult leaving that in, but I would have been entirely wrong to remove it  ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 23, 2020, 12:41:39 pm
Oops sorry Rajan, but I think it might actually be a flagpole, but none the less the tall thin thing to the right of the main structure - this is not a criticism btw, in fact it is a compliment, because as I say, I would have found it very difficult leaving that in, but I would have been entirely wrong to remove it  ;)

Dave

Dave,

I did not take it as criticism (by the way, I have no issue with criticism - people are welcome to like or dislike my photos 🙂).

Yes, it is a flagpole and for a fleeting moment I considered cloning it out.



Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2020, 02:12:55 pm
Yes, it is a flagpole and for a fleeting moment I considered cloning it out.

Yes I know the feeling Rajan and the cloning tool can often become a difficult thing to ignore, because we have so many easy to use editing tools available to us these days, that it has become quite difficult not to use them and especially overuse them, so well done you for being able to fight off that temptation ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: kers on June 23, 2020, 04:35:24 pm
Rajan, i like it but think it is not there yet....
I have some ideas about it how it could be improved.... for me that is.
One is making it even more abstract. white sky, no flagpole; the church as a symbol of human culture entering that hostile land...
Title: Re: Búðakirkja
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 24, 2020, 05:44:09 am
Rajan, i like it but think it is not there yet....
I have some ideas about it how it could be improved.... for me that is.
One is making it even more abstract. white sky, no flagpole; the church as a symbol of human culture entering that hostile land...

Thank you for your thoughts, Pieter.