Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: RMW on June 08, 2020, 03:45:45 pm

Title: content aware fill
Post by: RMW on June 08, 2020, 03:45:45 pm
Hello All.
Would appreciate knowing of a good tutorial for using C.A.F. When it produces the "new" portion it's always blurred and/or off in some other way.
Am using the latest version of PS on an iMac.
Suggestions most welcome.
Richard
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: Wolfman on June 08, 2020, 04:52:43 pm
This should help a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge9jsJZ3lA0
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: rdonson on June 08, 2020, 05:40:38 pm
Excellent choice!!!
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: john beardsworth on June 08, 2020, 05:58:11 pm
Except it's showing an outmoded version of content aware fill. As well as the old Edit > Fill where you choose the content aware option, there is now Edit > Content Aware Fill which is more controllable and better-featured.

So have you worked your way through https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/content-aware-fill.html ?
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: Wolfman on June 08, 2020, 11:39:33 pm
Actually you are correct John. I meant to send a tutorial on the latest version of CAF.....thanks.
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: john beardsworth on June 09, 2020, 11:06:11 am
I haven't seen a decent tutorial on the new version, which is why I suggested working through that Help article. Julieanne Kost did a short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=JzYvx8Dni-4&feature=emb_logo) and I suspect these two sources will be enough to get the OP moving.

What I most like about the new Edit > Content Aware Fill command is that you can tell it where to sample from, there's a preview, and there's an option to output the results to a new layer. The Apply button outputs that new CAF layer each time it's pressed, so you can fix one area of the image, Apply, then fix others without needing to close the dialog box, so you end up with layers for each correction and can fine tune them individually if you need.
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: RMW on June 09, 2020, 01:58:57 pm
Thanks everyone for leading me to the J.K. video.

I watched it and a couple of others and definitely learned a thing or two. One of those things is about adjusting the color intensity.

However, the initial problem I had with c.a.f. continues. The new "patch" is strongly smeared. The definition is substantially lost which leaves me to think that either I'm expecting too much from this tool or I'm overlooking some important step in using it.

If anyone has any suggestions or similar results with c.a.f. I'd certainly appreciate hearing them.

Thank you all again.

Richard
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: john beardsworth on June 09, 2020, 02:17:54 pm
So are you using the new CAF? Are you fine tuning its selection? On that Help page, the Oxford Street example might be relevant to what you describe.

I do still also use the old CAF and sometimes find it produces a better result. I don't have any sense why.
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: sbay on June 09, 2020, 02:53:27 pm

However, the initial problem I had with c.a.f. continues. The new "patch" is strongly smeared. The definition is substantially lost which leaves me to think that either I'm expecting too much from this tool or I'm overlooking some important step in using it.


I use content aware fill quite a bit for retouching. Sometimes I get smearing around the edges of the filled area as PS tries to blend it with the existing image details (although the center of the patch is fine). This might still happen after playing with all the options via sampling area, color/rotation adaptation etc. You might have to do another iteration or fix the smearing with other cloning tools. I find the clone stamp at low flow works well for adding texture back to the area.
Title: Re: content aware fill
Post by: kers on June 10, 2020, 08:11:37 am
Thanks for raising this subject.

The selection tools are adding new fast useful results;
The content aware fill however I will not use very much; i like a more perfect result.