Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: rollsman44 on June 06, 2020, 04:30:43 pm

Title: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: rollsman44 on June 06, 2020, 04:30:43 pm
I want to download the Images from my SD card to an external HD so I dont slow up my computer using the Big files from the Z. I want to review all the images I take and delete the ones I dont want then just drag or transfer just the Files to my computer that I plan to work on. Nothing expensive just for this purpose. TY Dennis
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on June 06, 2020, 05:33:01 pm
I suggest you consider creating a "import repository" Lightroom catalog on a dedicated external drive and import everything to it, then, after deciding on the files you want to keep working on (or after doing some preliminary work there), export them as a catalog to your computer (e.g. to a temporary folder on your desktop).

Then, from your main catalog, import those files using the "import from another catalog" command (moving them, as necessary, to a new permanent location elsewhere on your computer). Once you backup your main catalog and its files, you can delete the temporary folder from the desktop.

I further suggest that you not delete any files. Going back to things months or years later can reveal keepers you didn't recognize as such at the time you originally imported them.

In my workflow, I have an external drive dedicated to making a backup of my import repository as well a two drives for backing up my catalog and files from my laptop each day I work.
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: rollsman44 on June 06, 2020, 05:54:15 pm
Thank you Jeff
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on June 06, 2020, 07:08:29 pm
You're welcome. I hope there's something useful for you in what I wrote.
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: mcbroomf on June 07, 2020, 08:02:46 am
I do the same thing that Jeffrey suggested whenever I go on a trip.   The main reason is that I take a laptop with a small HD, so I use an external drive for both the catalog and all the image files which can easily be imported into my main desktop catalog when I get home. 

I don't use that method on a daily basis at home though, I just use Photo Mechanic to import.  Because I'm on a desktop with masses of storage (internal and external) I don't bother to cull with Photo Mechanic (I just walk away) but I know plenty of people do use it for that.  I'd guess there are other 3rd party programs that could be used as well.

Are you asking about drives as well, or just methods?  If so what ports do you have on your computer?

Mike
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: Joe Towner on June 07, 2020, 01:45:27 pm
So something like the old HyperDrive ColorSpace from Sanho or a Gnarbox when connected to your phone.
Title: Re: Suggestions For External HD with SD card port
Post by: bassman51 on June 07, 2020, 03:16:38 pm
I want to download the Images from my SD card to an external HD so I dont slow up my computer using the Big files from the Z. I want to review all the images I take and delete the ones I dont want then just drag or transfer just the Files to my computer that I plan to work on. Nothing expensive just for this purpose. TY Dennis

Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro is a self-contained drive with a built-in SD card reader.  Great for backing up images on a trip.  Then plug it into A USB port on your computer when you get home and Bob’s your uncle.