Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dpirazzi on June 03, 2020, 08:39:35 pm

Title: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: dpirazzi on June 03, 2020, 08:39:35 pm
Anyone have a source for 4'x8' Gator Board in southern california, preferrably near Long Beach. Would rather not pay for freight shipping.

Thanks in advance, Dave
Title: Re: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: dgberg on June 03, 2020, 09:23:09 pm
Probably have to pay shipping but have you checked with SignWorld over near Ontario?
Or Grimco in Cerritos.
Title: Re: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: Lewando_Images on June 04, 2020, 11:09:10 am
     ULine in Ontario their prices are pretty good but shipping could be high because that size must go by truck. If it's not to far it would be worth a drive there to pick it up. If you have a business ID number you can also avoid sales tax....but call ahead they will email you the tax stuff.
Title: Re: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: dpirazzi on June 04, 2020, 06:55:53 pm
Thanks Dan and Peter,

I just signed up for an account with Grimco, we'll see if they approve it (wholesale only). I've ordered from Uline before but never in 4x8 sheets, may give that a try.

thx, Dave
Title: Re: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: dpirazzi on June 05, 2020, 01:42:20 pm
Looks like Grimco will allow me to order quantities as low as a single sheet, with a $15 flat fee for delivery, same day  8) (shipping on orders over $100 is free).

They don't appear to stock Gator board, instead offering Ultraboard Classic, a polystyrene foam core board between two rigid sheets of polystyrene.

I just ordered a single sheet to try, wondering if anyone has tried this product, and if it is a direct replacement for Gator? Also have some Gator coming from Uline today to compare.

I plan to mount prints using Miracle Muck and spray on a topcoat.

thx, Dave
Title: Re: Gator Board source in So Cal
Post by: dgberg on June 05, 2020, 03:07:26 pm
I got some ultra board in and to me it did not cut as nice as gator. I use a Steeltrack which does a real slick job with Gatorboard. The ultra board has a hard plastic outer layer which I find a little harder to cut. What Ultraboard does have that I like is the thicker Ultraboard with edge banding. Also has a mounting adhesive attached. Peel it back brayer down your print turn over and trim.
We mount all of our canvases on gator with Miracle Muck. Any papers are mounted on Gator with 2 sided mounting adhesive, with or without a laminator. Depends on the size.