Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2020, 06:28:58 am

Title: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2020, 06:28:58 am
Shot on a calm, peaceful, autumn day, with lots of lovely, soft, directional side light  :)

As soon as I arrived at this scene and saw what was happening, I immediately jumped out of the car and spent the next twenty minutes or so shooting lots of variations of it, in a sort of adrenalin fuelled paparazzi style of frenzy, until I finally began to realise that all I was doing, was just taking the same picture over and over again, which no matter how good it was, I really didn't need several hundred versions of it. So I decided to put all my gear away and instead spend the next couple of hours just leaning on a fence, drinking in the scene and listening to the birds - ah what a wonderful day that turned out to be  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Bob_B on June 03, 2020, 07:40:18 am
...and what a wonderful photo resulted! That lighting is just "wow".
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: francois on June 03, 2020, 07:42:57 am
Excellent story! The obvious is always easy but taking the time is usually rewarded (and not only in photography).
This proves to be true here with this original and uncommon view of Eilean Donan Castle.
Well done, Dave.
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 03, 2020, 09:35:35 am
I too become overenthusiastic while clicking the shutter.

Well done.
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: rgs on June 03, 2020, 10:30:39 am
I've had similar experiences. Very nice image.
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 03, 2020, 11:54:02 am
A great day for you and a great result for us.
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: KMRennie on June 03, 2020, 04:50:28 pm
Beautiful!
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 04, 2020, 05:20:40 am
...and what a wonderful photo resulted! That lighting is just "wow".

+1
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Cornfield on June 04, 2020, 05:24:50 am
Really nice image, well composed and captured.

Maybe you should buy an old heavy tripod for these conditions when working slow is the right choice.
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Mark Nadler on June 04, 2020, 02:44:53 pm
Nice composition.

mark
Title: Re: Eilean Donan Castle - Autumn (2015)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 05, 2020, 02:17:07 pm
Thanks everyone  :)

Maybe you should buy an old heavy tripod for these conditions when working slow is the right choice.

I already use the biggest heaviest Carbon Fibre tripod I could find, the Gitzo GT3541XLS (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569167-REG/Gitzo_GT3541XLS_GT3541XLS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html), which weighs several pounds, but is absolutely solid, with a FLM C8-58 FTII Ballhead (https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested/4), which weighs several pounds, but is excellent, coupled with a Berlebach N90 levelling base (https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=500&sprache=english), which also weighs quite a bit, but which again is excellent. So goodness only knows how much I would be running around like a headless chicken if I wasn't toting all this kit around with me all the time  ;D

Dave