Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Onslow on May 30, 2020, 10:01:05 pm

Title: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: Onslow on May 30, 2020, 10:01:05 pm
Morning All, I am purchasing in Australia an Epson Surecolor SC-5070 17" roll printer next week. Going through my papers, I discovered a roll of 17" Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta 325g/m^2.
I was given it used around 5 yrs ago. Looking at it today, I notice it was not sealed in the plastic bag. It has been stored in a garage and subjected to a non air conditioned environment with temp swings from 0c to 48c. Is this likely to cause issues with the roll?
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: JRSmit on May 31, 2020, 07:24:34 am
Almost 100% sure it will no longer work well, icwould not even try it, but just throw it away.

Morning All, I am purchasing in Australia an Epson Surecolor SC-5070 17" roll printer next week. Going through my papers, I discovered a roll of 17" Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta 325g/m^2.
I was given it used around 5 yrs ago. Looking at it today, I notice it was not sealed in the plastic bag. It has been stored in a garage and subjected to a non air conditioned environment with temp swings from 0c to 48c. Is this likely to cause issues with the roll?
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: HarveyM43 on May 31, 2020, 08:41:47 am
I believe that paper contains OBAs. Here's a very recent article from Aardenburg imaging on the long term staining from them:
https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/tracking-lilis/

Maybe use it for nozzle checks but probably not much more than that.   
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: Onslow on May 31, 2020, 06:20:40 pm
Almost 100% sure it will no longer work well, icwould not even try it, but just throw it away.

I believe that paper contains OBAs. Here's a very recent article from Aardenburg imaging on the long term staining from them:
https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/tracking-lilis/

Maybe use it for nozzle checks but probably not much more than that.

Pretty much what I thought.. Cheers
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: Lessbones on June 04, 2020, 11:51:28 pm
I mean, does it look okay?  I don't see why you would need to throw it away unless it's visibly damaged.  It hasn't been exposed to light for 5 years, so while there might be some yellowing on the outside and on the edges from the box itself, 5 years isn't a terribly long time, even for a paper that does contain a decently high amount of OBAs...
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: Onslow on June 05, 2020, 06:45:53 pm
I mean, does it look okay?  I don't see why you would need to throw it away unless it's visibly damaged.  It hasn't been exposed to light for 5 years, so while there might be some yellowing on the outside and on the edges from the box itself, 5 years isn't a terribly long time, even for a paper that does contain a decently high amount of OBAs...
It looks ok, the thing doesn't have the Baryta smell though...
Title: Re: Old Hahnemuhle paper
Post by: MfAlab on June 15, 2020, 04:01:09 am
I will say it is printable. Maybe 50 cm ~ 1 M on the outside shows some air pollution yellowing. I have printed some papers be stored for more than 5 years, everything looks normal. But it's be stored in the basement.

Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta did not have the true baryta coating layer, nor the Photo Rag Baryta. Hahnemuhle cleverly said "barium sulphate in the coating". I have a internal document said Fine Art Baryta only has 0.05% baryta of its total weight. If you want a baryta paper smell, Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320 is the right paper.