Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 07:15:19 am

Title: Lobster Pots and old fashioned ropes
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 07:15:19 am
I think we all have a shot of these types of lobster pots or creels don't we, but I have never seen them with their anchor ropes still attached like this out of the sea.

Don't know why, but when I first saw this shot (see below under the linked shot of Isambard) and the reason why I took it, was because it sort of reminded me of this particular historical image -

(https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/10/21/1382360385846/Isambard-Kindom-Brunel--008.jpg?width=940&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=610fd0f60397483c8bde191322656648)

Dave
Title: Re: Lobster Pots and old fashioned ropes
Post by: armand on May 30, 2020, 11:01:09 am
Very nice. On the technical side, I don't know if it's just in jpeg, but on the bottom ropes there is maybe a little too much texture/noise?
Title: Re: Lobster Pots and old fashioned ropes
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 12:20:04 pm
Very nice. On the technical side, I don't know if it's just in jpeg, but on the bottom ropes there is maybe a little too much texture/noise?

Thanks Armand.

I just did a Google search of what natural ropes are made of - "Natural ropes are made from fibres including cotton, manila, jute, sisal, and hemp fibre blends, whereas synthetic rope fibres include polypropylene, polyester, nylon and polyethylene."

So I think that maybe the texture (noise?) that you are seeing, could in fact be due to the rope being made of naturally hairy fibres (which is what I found to be so unusual these days) - but yes it could also be noise I suppose that was introduced into the file PS compresses into such a small jpg  ;)

Dave