Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 04:46:03 am

Title: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 04:46:03 am
I had to negotiate my way across lots of very slippery seaweed covered, jagged, wobbly, ankle breaking rocks to get to the point where I took this pano shot, but well worth the effort I think, just to get this unique sea view of the Gars-bheinn peak on the shores of the Isle of Skye ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: KMRennie on May 30, 2020, 10:58:51 am
A lovely gentle image, the sky colour is perfect. I find the cheap steel studded spikes for walking on ice work well on wet rocks. https://www.amazon.com/HoFire-Traction-Grippers-Non-slip-10-Studs-Black/dp/B075XFGJK5/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1515160528&sr=8-10&keywords=ice+cleats Ken
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 12:24:29 pm
A lovely gentle image, the sky colour is perfect. I find the cheap steel studded spikes for walking on ice work well on wet rocks. https://www.amazon.com/HoFire-Traction-Grippers-Non-slip-10-Studs-Black/dp/B075XFGJK5/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1515160528&sr=8-10&keywords=ice+cleats Ken

Thanks for that Ken, and I must say that I am surprised that metal studs are less slippery that normal boot soles, but I am also more than happy to accept your suggestion, as I know it will be based on much experience in such matters.

I have also been told that felt bottomed boots work well on slippery rocks etc, but I am not sure where such items can be bought in the UK??

Dave
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Cornfield on May 30, 2020, 02:29:21 pm
A really great natural image with none of the overprocessing that is so prevalent here.
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 30, 2020, 02:31:17 pm
A really great natural image with none of the overprocessing that is so prevalent here.

Thank you  ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 01, 2020, 06:01:11 am
Nice one.
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: francois on June 02, 2020, 06:50:19 am
The colors along with the composition and the vista are perfect for this superbly calm and relaxing image.
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2020, 05:29:23 am
The colors along with the composition and the vista are perfect for this superbly calm and relaxing image.

Thanks Francois and yes I do agree that this image really does seem to capture the mood of the place at the time when I was there  :)

Nice one.

Thanks Paulo, I am so glad you like it  ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on June 03, 2020, 09:47:52 am
Dave, felt bottom boots are used frequently by people doing Fly Fishing. You might try an outdoor store.
Title: Re: Seaweed covered rocks, side light and the oddly shaped peak of Gars-bheinn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 05, 2020, 12:44:20 pm
Dave, felt bottom boots are used frequently by people doing Fly Fishing. You might try an outdoor store.

Thanks for that Kevin, I will have to look into this next time I go to the city, which at the moment, still seems quite a long way off up here in Scotland, as we are still limited to only being able to travel no more than five miles from home, which in the remote I region I live in, is at least 70 miles less then the nearest city is to me.

Thanks again  ;)

Dave