Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dchew on May 16, 2020, 09:10:20 am
-
I am new to Qimage One; so far very excited about the sharpening and print quality. I am having trouble printing some files on roll paper: It consistently crashes when printing panos. They are relatively large files, but I haven't tried to print anything really big yet.
Canon 4100 dual roll
2018 MBP 32gb Catalina 10.15.4
Images are exported as 8 bit tiffs, native ~ 22,000 x 10,000 pxl panoramas
Tried both LR plugin and standalone through Qimage; no difference
Quality: Highest - 600 ppi
Here is what I've tried:
- Any cut sheet up to 17x22: No problems regardless of original file size. Even sending 16 bit images works fine, with or without sharpening (5). 16 bit file size roughly 1gb (they are flattened tiffs).
- Printing panos on 44" roll paper: Consistently crashes regardless of 8 or 16 bit tiff. Printed image ~ 40" x 18". Crashes regardless of Qimage sharpening on/off.
- Printing same pano image on cut sheet: no problems at least up to 17x22.
- Roll 1 or Roll 2: No difference; crashes on both roll feeds.
- Printing smaller test images on roll paper: No problem. Examples like nozzle clear files, Andrew's gamut test file, Bill's Balls, etc all print fine on roll paper.
- Compressed (Q=60%) JPEG full size: This one has me stumped because it works fine. Pixel dimensions are ~23,700x10,000 but the file size is only 9mb.
Based on the above, it seems like there is a combination of file size and print size limit on my machine. If I start with a big file but make a relatively small print, it works fine. If I start with a relatively small file and make a relatively big print, it also works fine. But, if I start with a big file and make a big-ish print, it crashes. Here are typical settings.
Anyone have a suggestion on what else to test?
Dave
-
Maybe this will help:
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/image-size-limitation/ (http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/image-size-limitation/)
-
Maybe this will help:
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/image-size-limitation/ (http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/image-size-limitation/)
Thank you, David. I should try printing a 300 ppi file to see if that helps.
Edit: Still crashed @ 300
Dave
-
Did you try reinstalling?
Any compatibility notes on the Catalina OS?
-
The support is quite excellent so I'd go right to the source.
I'm not totally sure Qimage One doesn't also interface with the 'native' print driver but if it does, then the print size limitation (different on Mac vs. Windows) would still apply.
-
The support is quite excellent so I'd go right to the source.
I'm not totally sure Qimage One doesn't also interface with the 'native' print driver but if it does, then the print size limitation (different on Mac vs. Windows) would still apply.
So right there Andrew. I sent an email to them this morning. Andrew Wilford and I have been sending files back and forth today. He has reproduced the problem on his machine, and they are working on a solution for an updated version. Fabulous support!
I will let you all know when I hear of a fix.
Ciao,
Dave
-
Less than two days from bug report to fix and software update. Everything works fine now. Incredible support!
Dave