Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jonreid on December 05, 2006, 04:34:01 pm

Title: Shifting my IPF5000
Post by: jonreid on December 05, 2006, 04:34:01 pm
I need to shift my IPF5000 from its current location to another around 5 minutes away by car. There is a 'Move printer' function in the printer which drains ink out of the lines to stop any chance of spillage during transportation.

I will be able to transport the printer carefully but will be going up and down a few hills. Do I need to drain the ink in this case ? I would prefer not to as it is likely to be several hundred dollars of ink down the drain. However I dont want the risk of a mess to clean up.

Any feedback on other experiences in shifting pro printers ?

Thanks
Jonathan
Title: Shifting my IPF5000
Post by: Dan Wells on December 05, 2006, 07:10:44 pm
Brian at ColorHQ told me not to bother with move mode unlerss I was actually shipping the printer - he says that the Canon rep they work with put an iPF5000 into the back of a car and drove it halfway across the country without using move mode (and with the ink cartridges installed). I have moved an Epson 4800 several times, and I do not remove the cartridges or drain the printer, although I do close the ink levers (which the Canon doesn't have)

                                                                         -Dan
Title: Shifting my IPF5000
Post by: cariarer on December 06, 2006, 09:41:42 am
Hi Jonathan,

my IPF 5000 was a display model and had it's cardriges installed. I had no trouble getting it home across town in my car without clearing the lines. Just handle it carefully, just as you would anyway.

Regards, Marco...