Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: ymc226 on April 28, 2020, 04:05:10 pm
-
I currently use LR6 (but plan on subscribing to LR Classic). Presently, I edit on my home computer with the LR photos located on an attached external hard drive. I have high speed internet at work and would like to edit photos on the home hard drive rather than buying another hard drive keeping two separate systems or trying to sync between the two.
Is there a streamlined solution? Is a cloud based storage solution a viable option? I already use the Apple Cloud storage for other media and files and don't have much storage space left of the 2TB I am subscribed to.
-
FWIW! I am put off the cloud for various reasons, preferring to use my own HDs which I back up. I am starting to use 2TB portable SSDs (Sandisk) and am just about to separate my library into two. One part is my historic images and I call this my 'archive' (obviously with backups). These are images that I will access infrequently. The other part has my more current images, say the last couple of years, kept on another portable SSD (this time more regularly backed up). My SSD's are formatted so that they can be read by either PC or Mac. If I then want to use more than one machine, as you do, it is just a case of taking the SSD with me. They are very small, come with connectors for both PC and Mac and Amazon sometimes has them on offer.
Does this appeal in any way?
Best wishes,
Jonathan
-
Thanks for your reply. I prefer not to carry an external drive back and forth. My desire would be to have LR Classic loaded on computers at 2 different sites with the ability to work off the same data, not simultaneously of course.
-
The basic answer is LR Cloud. Otherwise you're doing referenced files on a Dropbox or such, then exporting/importing catalogs. You'd also want a remote control app to connect to your home computer & export out a directory as a catalog or copy referenced files to the cloud storage.
How much space is your current photo directory?
-
The basic answer is LR Cloud. Otherwise you're doing referenced files on a Dropbox or such, then exporting/importing catalogs. You'd also want a remote control app to connect to your home computer & export out a directory as a catalog or copy referenced files to the cloud storage.
How much space is your current photo directory?
Thanks Joe. In using LR Cloud, which I am only reading about, is it possible to use LR Classic CC both at home and at work? I thought one site had to be LR CC. By remote app, do you mean something like PC Anywhere? I shoot raw using 18 to 24 MP full frame cameras and have about 15K photos for now.